Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy a video card. I am currently running on my onboard Gforce 6100 n405 video.

I cant afford more than around $30 to $50 right now so I am looking on new egg and finding some good deals. I have even found some really nice Nvidia 8400 to 8600 series cards for $39.99. I just don't know what one to go for because I can't find what chipset I have and what pci-e version am able to use.

I know I have pci-e x16, but I don't know if it is 1.0 or 2.0.
If it is 1.0 can I use 2.0 anyway? I am reading a lot of conflicting info on this one.
Seems there are as many sites saying yes I can use a 2.0 vid card on a 1.0 system as there are sites saying no I can't.
I also can't figure out the actual speed of my x16. Is it running at full x16 or x8?
And finally what is better 256 MB of GDDR3 or 512 MB of GDDR2?
As I understand it GDDR2 runs ar 400 MHz and GDDR3 runs at 700 MHz. Is this correct?
I guess what I need to know is what is going to be better in giving me the ability to run the tougher games? 256 MB of 700 MHz GDDR3 or 512 MB of 400 MHz GDDR2?

My mobo is a ECS MCP61SM-GM mATX Motherboard

Here is a link to my system http://support.gateway.com/emachines/emac/1015008R/1015008Rnv.shtml

I have upgraded my system to 2.5 GB of 667 RAM, and yes my system seems to be recognizing the full 2.5 GB.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Re: Can't decide ov vid card because I cant figure out mobo specs.

The pc should support the 8 series fine. Technically pci-e 2.0 cards are supposed to work in 1.0 slots. However they somtimes do not with older or cheaper motherboards. I would only stick to 1.0 card for this machine. Since it is an emachine it will have the worst power supply possible installed in it so only go for an 8400 , one in 512 mb will be enough. To go for an 8600 you would want a quality 400w or higher in there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can't decide on vid card because I cant figure out mobo specs.

Thanks again helping me out emosun. :smile:

I'll stick with x16 1.0 cards to be sure.

Also you are right. It only has a 300W PS. :sigh:

I bought a 450W PS from a local dealer, but didn't realize until I went to install it that the HDD in this system has a 5 wire power line with a very different style of connector.
Unfortunately since I opened the box and plastic wrapped info in the box the dealer will not take the 450W PS back. :rolleyes:

I know that the extra wire is for hot removal of the HDD and I could just clip the HDD power connector off on the 450W and attach the connector from the 300W.
I have done this recently when I had a PS go bad on another identical system, but I don't use it for anything important and have no important files on it, but I really don't want a hack job on this system. I have to depend on it until I can afford to build or buy a better one.

Anyway I am still curious as to what is better. 256 MB of 700MHZ RAM or 512 MB of 400MHz RAM on a video card?

Thanks again.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

What brand of 450W PSU did you get?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Since it's just an 8400 you would want 512.
Cool. Thanks again :smile:

I know I can look it up, but any idea just off hand about if an 8400 512 MB GDDR2 will run games like crysis, cod4, bioshock, tes 4 oblivion, fear, fear 2, silent hill homecoming, HL2, HL2 EP2, HL2 EP3 in reasonably quality settings?
These are the games I plan on playing for a while.

(I know I will most likely not be able to play Silent Hill Homecoming in high quality as the specs for it to run at max are crazy:

Processor : Intel® Dual CoreC 2 Duo Family, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+, AMD Phenom™ or better.
Memory : 3 GB RAM.
Graphics : NVidia™ GeForce or ATI™ Radeon HD 1 GB GDDR4 DirectX® 10.0–compliant video card or better.

Holy Crap!!!!)

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.