Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey People,
I am having an annoying issue. I cant copy and paste. In any programs, be it Word, Notepad or Firefox etc. If reboot i can copy and paste for a while then it stops again. I have reformatted the PC and i am still having the same problem. I think it would be a memory issue. though i am not sure.

If you guys need any more info let me know. I need to copy and paste to get stuff done for work.

Thanks guys really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Re: Cant Copy and Paste

Hi maverickJ and Welcome to TSF,

Is it just the Ctrl + C function that stops working? Sometimes when theres a larger text on the clipboard the CTRL+C function can stop working. So when this happens, have you tried right-clicking and copying?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi maverickJ and Welcome to TSF,

Is it just the Ctrl + C function that stops working? Sometimes when theres a larger text on the clipboard the CTRL+C function can stop working. So when this happens, have you tried right-clicking and copying?
Hi Aciid,
I should have mentioned this. I cant copy or paste using the keyboard shortcuts or using the right click method. I cant copy any amount of text be it 3 characters or a paragraph.

Thanks for the reply Accid and thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Alright. Open up the eventlog (Start > Search > eventvwr.msc) and open up the system log. Try to copy something out of Notepad, see if a fault appears in the log.

Otherwise try to clear the cache by using this guide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Alright. Open up the eventlog (Start > Search > eventvwr.msc) and open up the system log. Try to copy something out of Notepad, see if a fault appears in the log.

Otherwise try to clear the cache by using this guide.
Hi Aciid,
I done what you said and i have found an error i think. I have had 120 errors in the information category in last hour. Me trying to copy and paste i think. I am not sure what to do from here.

I also followed the guide in that link you gave me and that didnt do and thing.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Alright, please post that event/error code that you mentioned. Doubleclick it and paste all the information to your next post.

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts

Check the following to ensure that copy / paste is enabled:

Control Panel > Select Internet Options > click on the Security tab. Then click on Custom Setting, scroll down to find the option "Drag and copy or paste" and ensure that it is enabled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hey Aciid,
I cant copy and paste it as it not working lol. I wish i could.

the event id is:7036
Source: service control manager

When i go into details i get this info:
provider
name: service control manager
[guid] 555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1-
26931d2012f4
[eventsource name] service control manager

[event id] 7036
[qualifers] 16384
version 0
level 4
task 0
opcode 0
opcode 0x8080000000000000

execution
[process id] 500
[threadid] 6040

I am not sure if this info you wanted. Let me know if you want more

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Check the following to ensure that copy / paste is enabled:

Control Panel > Select Internet Options > click on the Security tab. Then click on Custom Setting, scroll down to find the option "Drag and copy or paste" and ensure that it is enabled.
It is enabled thanks

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts

you said you have reformatted and you still cant copy and paste,did the install go as planned,Is it a genuine windows 7 on your system,? did you upgrade from premium/

Run a File check - Start > Run ....sfc /scannow ( space after sfc )

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Alright so that specific error has nothing to do with this part atleast. Do you mind trying brobarapas's solution? If problem still persists, could you evaluate this under another user account and/or safemode (Press F8 during startup) ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

you said you have reformatted and you still cant copy and paste,did the install go as planned,Is it a genuine windows 7 on your system,? did you upgrade from premium/

Run a File check - Start > Run ....sfc /scannow ( space after sfc )
Alright so that specific error has nothing to do with this part atleast. Do you mind trying brobarapas's solution? If problem still persists, could you evaluate this under another user account and/or safemode (Press F8 during startup) ?

Hi Guys,
i did the sfc /scannow thing and i it found something and wanted a reboot. I have reboot but not in safe mode. I can copy and paste for the moment. So we will see if this lasts.

If you guys have fixed this thanks so much i really appreciate it. IF not ill be back lol:4-dontkno

EDIT: i have a legit copy of W7. and the install went as planned.

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts

Hi Guys,
i did the sfc /scannow thing and i it found something and wanted a reboot. I have reboot but not in safe mode. I can copy and paste for the moment. So we will see if this lasts.

If you guys have fixed this thanks so much i really appreciate it. IF not ill be back lol:4-dontkno

EDIT: i have a legit copy of W7. and the install went as planned.
The reason I asked about your copy of windows is most lap tops come pre installed with windows 7 premium and not windows ultimate ,most people upgrade to ultimate,Im glad the sfc scan sorted your problem,now you can copy and paste the command in note pad and save it for future reference,please mark your thread as solved

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hey Guys,
I cant copy and paste again, Sorry people. I have ran the sfc /scannow. And got nothing. It said everything was right.

Could this be a virus or spyware? Its pretty annoying as you guys could imagine not being able to copy and paste. If i reboot it will work for a while. But its not a permanent fix.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Have you tried another user account? (If you don't have one, create one)
Have you tried under safemode?

It's most likely an issue with the memory not being able to allocate more after a while, might've ran out of memory to use or the cachce is not cleared properly. Could you post your computer specs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Have you tried another user account? (If you don't have one, create one)
Have you tried under safemode?

It's most likely an issue with the memory not being able to allocate more after a while, might've ran out of memory to use or the cachce is not cleared properly. Could you post your computer specs?
Hi Aciid,
Nice to see you again. I only have one user account on this Laptop. I havent tried safemode but will as soon as i finish this post.

PC specs:
intel core 2 duo p8600 @ 2.40ghz
4GB Ram
512mb video card

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ok i am in safe mode and i can copy and paste. I am not sure what this means. Possible malware or something?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

This means some service and/or driver is causing the function to stop working after a period of time.

Boot up as normal > Start > Search > msconfig
Go to Startup, disable everything but windows services.
Apply > Reboot.

See if the problem persists. Don't open up alot of extra applications, just surf the web for a while or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

This means some service and/or driver is causing the function to stop working after a period of time.

Boot up as normal > Start > Search > msconfig
Go to Startup, disable everything but windows services.
Apply > Reboot.

See if the problem persists. Don't open up alot of extra applications, just surf the web for a while or so.
Ok will do

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ok i have removed all of the services that weren't microsoft and everything is working for now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.