Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm having a very annoying issue with my computer. When i turn it on, it says something as "can't find system volume disc". When i REboot it it workes flawlessly, so i guess it has to do with the bios settings, or? Why does it work when I reboot it but not when i turn it on? I've tried google, which solves most of my pc issues, but appearantly i'm unable to solve this. If you guys have any ide to what causes this, i would much appreciate it.

btw, my hdd is a quite old wd IDE drive (but it has worked perfectly before, that is, in my old computer) At the moment, i have both my IDE dvd-drive and IDE hdd connected to the same ide slot on the mobo since there's only one. Maybe that's the problem but i need both of them so i'm hoping there is a way to make this work.

You'll find spec:s and manual for the mobo here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2627

cheers,
Jolo

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Re: Can't boot my volume disc after shutdown

It sounds more like the drive is becoming slow to init. When you reboot are you powering off or just using ctrl-alt-del or the reset? What is the model number of the drive?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply!

The drive is a "WDC WD20 00JB-00G SCSI Disk Device (200,05 GB)" (according to belarc advisor).

As for the reboot, it doesn't matter wheather i push the physical reset button on the front or if i reboot it by going through the start meny. It works, but not if i turn it off and then turn it on. You might be right about the fact that the drive is to slow for my new rig. I just want to know for sure before i go and buy myslef a new one.

cheers,
J

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts

It's not that it's "too slow". It's simply a matter of the drive not spinning up fast enough. This is sometimes just a result of the drive aging.

In any case, it sounds like a HDD issue, and not a system issue. So a new HDD should resolve the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

once again, tanks a lot for quick replies.

what your saying make sense and i'll have to face it - one day or another i'll have to replave my hdd so it might as well be today. Nevertheless, what annoyes me is that the problem started occuring after i bought the new parts. It never happened while using my old rig. I experience a faster boot up, so does this demand more of the hdd? Is thus why it isn't working? I mean was it right on the edge on my old rig?

cheers,
J

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yep, i still use the same, its 420w which i guess is sufficient for my system
( the graphic card is a sapphire radeon hd3870 and the cpu an intel c2d )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hi again guys,

Sorry for my late reply but the problem is now solved. Maybe i´ll have issues in the nearest future due to my lack of W from my psu but as for now my problem is solved. What i did was simply shifting powercable. It seems as if the one connected to the hdd was malfunctioning (something i've never heard of before) but apparently it worked after i switched it with another one. The reason for me not trying this before was that the cable was to short but i found an extender that made it possible.

Once again guys, thanks for all your help!
consider this post "solved".

cheers,
Jolo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.