Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,I have nowhere to turn so I'm really counting on you guys to help me.
I cannot re-install Vista at all..The last time I tried I got the BSOD right after it finished loading.
Tech Info:
*** STOP: 0X0000007E
(0XC000005,0X08BA4CB73,0X088D53C08,0X88D53904)

So it basically keeps getting worse.The many times I've tried to re-install it,It would reach to the point that it would say:'expanding files' and it would freeze or get the BSOD around 21% or so.

On 11/3 it said on the BSOD:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL
Tech Info: *** STOP: 0X000000D1
(0X0C9EB434,0X00000002,/1,0X8818D014)
Usbhub.sys - Address 8818D014 base at 8818c000,Datestamp 47919064

I did not have my mouse or anything plugged in either.

The reason is that because I felt that I had no choice.
At first my laptop would say 'Windows explorer has stopped working.' 'User profile did not load correctly','Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed',etc. Before long a lot of my services/programs became disabled.It kept getting the BSOD too.Safe Mode didn't help and now I can't even access it most likely because I tried reinstalling the OS.
Now my laptop says when I turn it on:
No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot,F2 for setup utility.Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

I tried many things to fix it:
Virus/Malware/Spyware scan,system restore,tried to restore it to the factory condition but couldn't because of an 'error',windows help feature didn't do much for me,Vista/Utilities disk could not fix anything,BIOS,memory check came out fine,etc.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 Intel Core 2 duo w/3gb,250gb.
Ahh,I wish I had the packing slip that described more about it. XP
It is that type of inspiron(no webcam,thrid choice?) though when I ordered it from Dell.

I hope that this will be enough for you guys to help me.
Is this some type of hardware issue?:sigh:

Because with the Drivers and utilities disk->Dell Diagnostics->Symptom Tree
My laptop failed the read portion of the self test.

Results:

From Windows blue screen->errors->
(Fail - SATADISK S/N=WD-WXE508DN0521
S.M.A.R.T Long/Short Self test)

1. Test Results: Fail
Error code 0F00:075D
Msg:IDE device failed: The self-test failed the read portion of the test.

2. Test Results: Fail
Error Code 0F00:0244
Msg: Block 435228031: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

3. Error Code: 0F00:1A44 (same msg as above)

P.S
I apologize for any n00bishness and errors.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Cannot re-install vista,BSOD![Please help!]

Hi,

Sounds like you have to get the drivers for your hard drive loaded onto a floppy disk or usb flash drive. I've not been through the vista install in a while but i remember xp had an option to load raid drivers when installing, if their is an option simialr to this in the vista install select that to load the drivers then re-install the operating system and hopefully if all goes well then you will have vista re-installed no problems.

hope this helps

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts

Whenever you have issues reinstalling an operating system the most important question is "Why are you trying to reinstall windows?"

This will likely lead to the core cause.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts

From Windows blue screen->errors->
(Fail - SATADISK S/N=WD-WXE508DN0521
S.M.A.R.T Long/Short Self test)

1. Test Results: Fail
Error code 0F00:075D
Msg:IDE device failed: The self-test failed the read portion of the test.

2. Test Results: Fail
Error Code 0F00:0244
Msg: Block 435228031: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

3. Error Code: 0F00:1A44 (same msg as above)
This leads me to believe that you have a bad hard drive.
If it's still under warranty, contact the seller or Dell to find out where to have it repaired.

·
Registered
43 Posts

My problem is similar. I get the same bsod message that Kallan gets (STOP: 0X0000007E
(0XC000005,0X08BA4CB73,0X088D53C08,0X88D53904) but I'm trying to install Vista on a brand new hard drive. If I have my old hard drive also connected the install program only wants to install Vista on that one, and doesn't see the new drive. If I disconnect the old drive I get the bsod and above message. The new drive is detected in the bios. It shows up in disk management and device manager within the installation on the old drive, but not when I click on the computer icon.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts

Thank you.

Glad it worked.

I wish you the best - and have a most enjoyable Vista experience!

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oops. I spoke too soon. Killdisk did work wonderfully, and Vista began to load. Then, however, it did not see my hard drive, so I'm stuck. I tried loading the mb drivers (its a gigabyte mb and a A Western Digital hard drive. No luck. This may not be a Vista problem, but I'm not sure where else to post this. Any thoughts are welcome, and thanks again for the Killdisk suggestion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I tried installing XP, and got much further than with Vista. It saw the hard drive, allowed me to partition and format it, and began what looked like a successful install. I tried this three times. Each time it froze, once at 22 minutes left, once at 19 minutes left (that time I got a bsod), and once at 28 minutes left. Since the drive was formatted I tried Vista again. It did see the drive, but froze at "expanding files"...once at 62% and once at 72%. I've been swapping two drives; a WD 640 gb and a Seagate 500gb. Both are sata drives and I've had the same trouble with both. Both are brand new. My old, small disk with Vista on it (its almost full) had been working ok, but is running out of space, which is why I started this project to begin with. I may just use Killdisk on the two new ones again, put them away for awhile, and reinstall the old drive until I can figure out what to try next.

·
Banned
56 Posts
leave the old drive with vista installed already in the computer.
And put one or both of the other drives in for extra storage.
Transfer all files, pictures, videos, music, etc. to the other extra drive or drives, to use as little space as possible on your hard drive that is filling up.
You may wish organize your larger storage hard drive like pictures, documents, music, files, then like those to the folder inside of vista's documents folder for easy access.
This is what I do on all of my machines, incase the hard drive with windows crashes, I can reinstall and still have all of my personal files.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.