Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a used computer at a garage sale. got it home and there is a PW during log-on. don't know the PW and the sellers didn't remember it either :sigh:. They will refund if I can't correct it:smile:.

Is there any way to bypass the log on screen in Win 2000. I tried ERD commander and the system does not boot from the CD rom, I tried to enter through safe mode and still asks for PW :4-dontkno.

By removing the HD from the system and installing on my other comp as a slave, can I disable this feature then pop it back into its own comp and boot up?

I have a legit copy of winxp i can load up but want to know if I can disable the PW feature first and keep win 2000.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated:pray:.

Thanks.:grin:

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Re: cannot logon to windows 2000, missing PW

Hello,

As for your W2K issue please read Forum rules.

ASSISTANCE WITH ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES
We will not provide any user with information about the location of websites that assist with the following activities

software pirating
hacking
password cracking
keystroke recording software

However, you may try installing your Legit copy of Windows XP, format the harddrive first then install WinXP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

hey, I hadn't read the rules and was not aware that such a thing was illegal, especially when the comp is mine. i am assuming I can format the drive as a slave on another comp then install my copy of xp.

thanks

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

It's not illegal, it's just that we have no way to determine the real situation so the forum has chosen not to assist. For all we know, you're trying to hack into the payroll departments PC to give yourself a raise.

Are you sure there is a password? Unlike XP, Win2K always shows the password box, even if there is none.
If there isn't one, just leave the password box blank.
And have you tried using the Administrator account, rather than the one shown in the Log on box?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's not illegal, it's just that we have no way to determine the real situation so the forum has chosen not to assist. For all we know, you're trying to hack into the payroll departments PC to give yourself a raise.

Are you sure there is a password? Unlike XP, Win2K always shows the password box, even if there is none.
If there isn't one, just leave the password box blank.
And have you tried using the Administrator account, rather than the one shown in the Log on box?
Thanks. yes to both your suggestions, and neither work. I also went into the BIOS and removed all passwords but I still couldn't get in. I have since installed xp so i have xp in one partition and W2K in another. At some point, if I can't "hack" the PW, I will have to find a way to delete W2K from the HD, as it's taking up space. I tried formatting the partition but it failed to do it. Can you give me some assistance on how to erase W2K from the system? or at least how to prepare the partition for formatting?

Thanks.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

By "failed" do you mean you got this error:
Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.

If so the XP boot files are on that partition.
You can delete everything on that partition except boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com, then use it for what ever you want.
If you have a Live CD of some kind, you can save those files, format the partition, then put them back.
If you want to merge that partition into the XP partition, you'd need to edit the boot.ini file, as the partition number will change.
You can move those three files to the XP partition, then set the XP partition as the active one, and that should free up the original partition so it can be formatted.

As this is a fresh install, might be easier to just start over though, if you haven't found a way to reset the password yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

thanks for all you suggestions. I used partition magic to wipe the entire drive, reformatted and did a fresh install of xp. no more issues.

thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.