Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, everyone, I'd appreciate some help.

Last night I got a BSOD and since then have been unable to boot into Windows 7 Home Premium on my Thinkpad T530. When I try to boot normally, in safe mode, or to the last known good configuration, I get another blue screen that informs me of the error BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO.

I called Lenovo tech support, but they were not very helpful. The technician I spoke to blamed the problem on the fact that I dual-boot with Linux, even though the two operating systems have been running side-by-side just fine for months. He said he would send me a recovery disk, but I'm worried that the recovery disk will automatically reformat my drive.

I suspect this a Windows problem, not a hardware problem, as Linux still runs fine. Can anyone offer some advice?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
Re: Cannot boot into Win 7; BSOD every time

If you are unable to access the Linux partition then it is possible that there is a hardware problem/

Can you try removing the memory and testing on module at a time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the RAM. The problem persists, though everything works fine in Linux.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts

Okay, I missed the part of Linux working fine. I would agree this is a software problem.

And you are right about the Recovery disc. It will restore the PC back to factory settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up fixing the problem by acquiring a Windows 7 installation ISO directly from Microsoft (a Live Chat sales person sent me the download link), burning it to DVD and booting from it, and running Startup Repair (which silently ran a bunch of command-line utilities, including CHKDSK). I had to run it twice before my Windows partition became bootable again.

Fortunately, this did not mess with GRUB at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.