Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been having latency issues with the oh so popular game, World Of Warcraft.

After running a trace route to blizzard, they've pointed out that I was dropping packets in New York. They then suggested that I contact my ISP.

Because I am suffering from a terrible cold, contacting them over the phone is not an option. (I have completely lost my voice.) Instead, I have contacted them through online chat. They said in order to do a speed test or w.e., I would need to connect directly to my modem, instead of through the router.

Here is my question/problem. When ever I try doing so, I get no connection to the internet on my computer. They told me to plug in directly from the modem to the computer, then unplug my modem, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in. This however, did not work.

Thanks in advance.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts
Re: Can only connect through router.

How about the exact make and model of the modem, the router, and the version and patch level of the computer you are using?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ah, sorry, should have had those in the post. Was a bit rushed/frustrated while writing it.

Linksys WRT54G router, and a Motorola SBV5120 SURFboard Cable Modem.

WinXP Media Center/SP3 (I'm assuming that's what you wanted when you said version/patch level. If not, I'd be happy to give you any other need info.)

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just discovered the same exact problem today. I have two computers, a Dell laptop Inspiron 1501, and a Dell desktop Inspiron 530s. Each connects fine to the internet when connected to the router, which is a D-link DI-604, but neither can connect to the internet when connected individually to the cable modem, which is a Terayon TJ 715x. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Forgot to mention, the laptop is XP Home SP2, and the desktop is Vista Home SP1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is what I get after unplugging the modem, waiting a minute or more, restarting my computer even, and plugging it back in.

http://hdimage.org/images/xxmn7lm1fyd2r6undasq_onnection.jpg

I still could be power cycling it wrong, but I've power cycled modems before, so I'm just confused as to why it's not working.

Could it be the router was sending a different IP to my computer than the modem, and my computer just isn't accepting the modem? Maybe I have to change some settings in my computer? Bleh, I don't know.

And thanks a bunch for the help so for.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts

Let's see this connected to the modem after a power cycle of the modem, then rebooting the machine.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jay>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HOMECOMPUTER
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-CE-DE-F4
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

C:\Documents and Settings\Jay>

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts

Mystery solved, you have DHCP disabled!

Select Start > Settings > Network Connections.

• Double-click the Connection icon of the connection you wish to modify to open the Local Area Connection Status window.
  • Click the Properties button to open the Local Area Connection Properties window.
  • Click to highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  • Click the Properties button to open the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.
  • TCP/IP Properties window, IP Address tab
  • Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
  • Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.
  • Click OK to return to the Local Area Connection Properties window.
  • Click OK to return to the Network Connections window.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.