Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but please read the whole message before you move me - thanks.

I'm a home user and I've had a massive virus problem. I have been unsuccessfully trying to get help from the other group and have resigned myself to clearing the machine completely and starting over-if I can! Actually I'm rather looking forward to getting rid of all the old programs and stuff that I don't want/need or use.

OK I have a Packard Bell 1559 about 4 or five years old. Only ever had to repair the OS before and had a warranty thing in place then (blue screen of death thing and missing DLL files - even I knew that was bad!). I have Windows XP home but it was already installed when I got it and no disks. When I first setup the machine I was prompted to make "MASTER DVD" which I did and I have. When I've intially put the disk in the machine it only mentions Windows 95 though. If thats all I've got then fine - I can't carry on as I am and I don't have the money for new computers and software.

I've researched the AV, anti spyware and firewalls and have chosen what looks like is best for me. Also want to drop IE and use Firefox as most people on these forums seem to think IE has some stuf that almost invites trouble! I have two young kids just starting to surf properly, and I need as much help as I can get I think! Yes I am teaching them about safe surfing at the same time.

My overall plan is to get Windows back on, reinstate internet connection to get my malware protection set up and assure myself the machine is clean, then hopefully reinstall my major programs that I use.

I have got all my precious files off My Docs - don't care about toolbars and settings etc.

So to my request. Is there anyone who can talk me through the process from start to finish. When I say start, everything is still installed so that needs to be deleted/formatted. If I can I want to completely flatten everything and start from scratch. I want to be very clear and tell you that I am very aware that if I do this I will have nothing left - I have alraedy taken all my precious photos/music/vids/docs and the copy is good.The only thing I'm woried about is drivers, because the windows and program files is where I'm getting hit with all these viruses/spyware so I've not copied anyhtign from there.

Do you need any other info about machine specs? It may take time but i'm sure I can find it.

Thanks in advance. Also I'm not expecting anyone to get straight back to me so I'm off to get some food for them pesky kids! Tee hee. I will be back.

Jo

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Can anyone talk me though a Windows Reinstall?

Firstly Exact model name and number, also which country do you reside in?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi

Its a Packard Bell IMEDIA1559 . No other model info on the machine. I'm in UK. I'm a more of a user so please bear with me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts

I will come back to you later this afternoon. Did you get any disks with computer, if so what are they labeled?

·
Registered
625 Posts

Does it have a label on the back with at PT prefix, if so what is it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

OK here goes.

The whole label says
"Model/Type:UTOW - RIO
MS WHQL No Rio 1125905
S/N 049287420175
P/D 0498274
P/N PB34316701 "

and thats it apart from warnings to connect to a power supply (duh!)

I hope this makes sense!

Ta

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sorry, missed one of your messages. No disks at all. When I started setting it up I was prompted to make a MASTER DVD which I did and I still have it amazingly! As I said earlier though, I have inserted it and the only options that looked available referred to Windows 95 although XP home V2002 is on the machine and so are all the stickers and licence key. So I just closed it down.

·
Registered
625 Posts

When you first boot your computer do you see something like Press F12 for restore?

·
Registered
625 Posts

When you boot from the DVD you made what options do you get?

·
Security Team , Moderator, Analyst , Rangemaster,
29,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts

Will close this thread and you can open a new one if the Virus Removal is unsuccessful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.