Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this, so apologies if i seem a bit simple.

Yesterday I put the components together for a new pc, but the damn thing doesn't work. This may be related to a bent pin on the socket 775 board, although i thought i had put it back into place.

When i turn the pc on it appears to load normally, but when it gets to the part where windows should be loading, it resets. The bios recognises the cpu (core duo 2.67mhz), so I am not sure if this pin is the problem. Components are listed below:

Abit motherboard IP35-E Intel P35 ;
Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz ;
Corsair 2048MB TwinX XMS2 6400 DDR2 ;
500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II 300 7200rpm 8MB cache
+ old hard drive (160MB - windows xp installed) ;
NEC Optiarc AD-7170S-0B SATA Black 18x DVD ±RW/RAM ;
ThermalTake TR2 470W Black Silent +ATX 12V 2.0 PSU ;
Asus TA861 Black/silver midi tower case NO PSU ATX

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Built new pc, doesn't work

Voltages:
CPU core - 1.3500V
DDR2 - 1.80V
CPU VTT - 1.2000V
ICH - 1.50V
MCH - 1.250V
CPU GTLREF - 63.0%

Temperatures:
CPU shutdown temp - 94C/194F
CPU warning temp - 80C/167F
CPU temp - 56C/133F
System temp - 26C/79F
PWM - 41C/106F

Thanks, hopefully these are what you were asking for!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Pin settings (of old hard drive) were set to primary. I took this drive out to get my old pc running again to get online; this left new pc with only the new sata drive. Made no difference to problem when I turned it on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Nope, I just put the pieces together and turned it on. That might sound a bit foolish but it worked the last time i built one. How do you install them if you can't get to windows?

Might not post for a while, not being ignorant; I am in work in a few hours and need sleep.

·
Registered
426 Posts

I know this might be a stupid question but uh...did you happen to format the drive and re-install windows with the new motherboard in place? It sounded to me like you took a hard drive from a preexisting machine and stuck it in your new one...without reimaging the drive. Unfortunately for those of us who like to cut corners and save time, that won't work. Windows will tolerate just about any hardware change except for motherboards. Now, if that's a way that Microsoft cuts down on piracy, I don't know.

At any rate, if you didn't re-install windows, try putting the Windows CD in and re-imaging the drive.

The pin thing worries me...those pins are extremely fragile and delicate. If you actually BENT one...it's quite possible that the socket is damaged.

Another thing to check is if LBA is turned on in your BIOS. Since you have such a large capacity hard drive, it could be having issues loading windows like that.

One more thing...what version of Windows are you using?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

One question on re-installing windows - would it work better to leave my old hard drive out of this and just install on the new one; later making the old drive a slave; or does that not matter?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts

ThermalTake TR2 470W Black Silent
seems a bit on the light side i am running simlar system with a silverstone zeus 650w
but your video card pulls a lot more than mine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks guys, installing xp onto new hard drive after taking the other one out solved the problem.

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.