Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think this is related to Sleep but I can't work out this in any more detail from Verifier logs.

I have attached the jcgriff2 zip including PERFMON.html
* And added minidump with driver verifier running.

Thanks
Dave.

System:
Windows 8 x64
Originally XP but I bought W8 and installed last month.
Hardware originally a MESH system about 5 years old but I have upgraded various components.
. CPU: Intel E8400 3GHz
· Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
· MotherBoard - ASUS P5N-E SLI

Attachments

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Re: BSOD Windows 8

Due to the age of your motherboard: Did you run the Windows 8 upgrade advisor? Did it flag the board as a possible issue?

ASACPI.sys Sun Mar 27 20:30:36 2005 (42476C4C)
Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility (a known BSOD maker in Win7). Also a part of the Asus PCProbe and AISuite Utilities
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ASACPI.sys

Older versions of ASACPI.SYS are a known BSOD problem on Windows 7. Update the driver by:
  1. Going to the Asus motherboard support site
    When you reach the website:
  2. Scroll down the page and click Utilities
  3. Hold Ctrl and press f (ctrl+f) to enter the browser's find feature
  4. Search for "ATK0110 driver for WindowsXP/Vista/Win7 32&64-bit" (without quotes)
  5. Download and install the driver.
  6. After installation is complete, verify that it installed correctly.
    • Click Start Menu
    • Click My Computer
    • Go to C:\WIndows\System32\drivers\
    • Verify that the ASACPI.SYS file is dated 2009 or newer (2010,etc.)

I realize that is not your motherboard model, but your model does not have an up to date version of that driver on the support site. You will therefore need to use the above model's update instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for your reply.

I don't recall a message from Update Advisor.

I tried to install this driver you mentioned using their .exe file but it didn't launch. I then ran in W7 compatibility mode. It ran but immediately crashed. It has installed it in the Drivers folder however.

I still get a crash if I try to go into Sleep. I sometimes get the HAL Event id 12 also.

Any other ideas please.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

Alright, I dug into your .dmps a bit more. Problems are likely caused by the following drivers:

nvstor64.sys Fri Apr 9 03:22:41 2010 (4BBEF1E1)
nVidia Storage Driver (nForce chipset driver)
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvstor64.sys

nvstor.sys Mon Sep 12 17:53:04 2011 (4E6E9B60)
nVidia Storage Drivers
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvstor.sys

I determine this from:

Code:
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\hiber_dumpfve.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for hiber_dumpfve.sys
That indicates something is conflicting with the hibernation sequence, and it is probably the storage chipset drivers indicated above. Please update them from your motherboard support site if possible.

I also note an overclock on your system. Do you have the same problems if you remove the overclock?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Hi,

I turned off overclocking and had the same issue.
I downloaded the nforce storage drivers and still got a BSOD on waking from Sleep. This time I got a DPC_Watchdog_Violation
(I had to get Windows 7 x64 drivers and I ran in compatibility mode.)

Attached minidump.

Thanks again,
Dave.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

PS
Interesting development;
I changed the motherboard jumpers to +5VSB for the USB ports, ie to allow wake from USB (Mouse).
So now no blue screen when sleeping.
However, I still get the HAL error. Attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

Your system may not be compatible with Windows 8 due to the age. It appears that Windows is trying to tell you to update the BIOS, but you have the latest BIOS installed for your motherboard.

Microsoft says it is compatible: Windows 8 compatibility for ASUS P5N-E SLI ATX - nForce 650i SLI Motherboard model from ASUS

You have a few months of free support through Microsoft for Windows 8. Have you contacted them for the error you are receiving to see if they have any suggestions?

Answer Desk - Microsoft Store online

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I spoke to Microsoft, they couldn't find anything more.

FYI - I have decided to change my BIOS settings to S1 sleep only, rather than S1+S3, and I don't get any problems. Makes sense since it is not full sleep.

Ill wait until I see any Windows updates before worrying about this again.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

You're welcome. I forgot about the S1 versus S1 + S3 settings in the BIOS. I have seen that help on some systems, so thanks for reminding me. I'll make a note of this thread for future reference if I see those problems again.

Best wishes you have no more problems. :-}

Once you are confident the problem is solved, please mark the thread solved by clicking Thread Tools at the top of the thread and choosing the option to Mark this thread as solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.