Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
When inserting a blank CD or DVD in the DVD re-writer of my desktop, I get a BSOD with stop code:
0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x806D2753, 0xEE8A111C, 0x00000000)
There is no driver mentioned after the stop code.

This problem does not happen with all CDs or DVDs. I have bought several brands:TDK, Verbatim, Maxwell.
The problem happens with all of these brands, but is intermittent. Within the same pack, some disks would cause a BSOD, some won't. Though those that do cause one always do...

I changed the DVD re-writer 3 times and have seen the problem with each:
- First I had an internal LG IDE
- Then an internal Sony SATA
- Now I have an external HP dvd1040

The problem started a few months ago when the original DVD re-writer that came with my computer (bought 4 years ago) stopped working.
I changed it for the LG and started getting the BSOD on some disks...

My system:
- AMD Atlon 64 Processor 3500+
- Mother board: ASUS A8NE-FM
- XP Home Edition SP3

I also have a laptop that works perfectly well with the disks causing the BSOD on the desktop.

I have scanned all disks for viruses, trojans and malware. Nothing harmful detected - a few potential threats which I deleted.
I ran a Memtest on the desktop: no errors.
I had also added a couple of HDDs over the years. I read somewhere that code 0x0000008E could be caused by insufficient power so I removed the HDDs
I am running Kapersky AV. I stopped it and checked...
Everytime, the problem has re-occurred :upset:

I have checked forums and articles on the web and am running out of ideas :4-dontkno, apart from re-installing Windows... which I would prefer not to have to do...

Any idea anyone please...

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: BSOD when inserting disk

Did the LG come with any driver or software disk? This sounds like it's driver related though the fact that it mentions no driver in the BSOD makes me unsure. What kind of burning software do you use? Does it happen with only blank cds/dvds or also audio cds or game/movie dvds?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

None of the 3 DVD re-writers I tried required any driver. They were all correctly recognised by Windows.

(just for clarity, I have returned the 2 internal drives (LG and Sony) and am now just using - or trying to... - the HP)

Thanks

·
Helper
4,126 Posts

It may well be a cd/dvd power fault - run Everest in Computer/Sensor mode and watch the voltages when you open and close the tray and when you insert and remove a cd/dvd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

@tdw25: sry forgot to reply to your second question. I have only noticed it with blank CD and DVDs. I don't tend to play Audio CDs on my PC and tend to play video DVDs on my DVD ROM player...

@CCT: d/led Everest. Did not see any change in voltage when opening the tray. Did not expect to as I have an external drive now with its own power supply...

Thanks for your suggestions - any more thoughts?

·
Helper
4,126 Posts

Do you an AV that scans disks as they are inserted?

If so, tried disabling that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I run Kaspersky - don't know whether it scans CD on insertion. Anyway, I disabled it and re-tried: BSOD again...

·
Helper
4,126 Posts

Do you use Nero or another, or combination, of burning proggies? Have you tried uninstalling them?

Also, in Windows Explorer, you can right click the cd/dvd device and under 'autorun' try setting everything to 'take no action'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I use DeepBurner which has served well for years before this started to happen.

I set the Autorun to "Take no action". Unfortunately, the problem persists...

I also took a look at the Windows dmp file generated from the BSOD. There is a list of drivers but it doesn't say if any of these drivers is guilty of causing any grief... Something must be doing it though..........

·
Helper
4,126 Posts

Get your XP disk handy and do a sfc /scannow.

Also, if you can post the last 3 dump files as attachments.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Pls find the last 3 dmp files as requested. They're in the attached zip file.

Thanks for the sfc tip. I'll try it later and will let you know the outcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ok so I have run sfc /scannow.

It ran fine. I had to insert the XP disk as you hinted. I did not see any message out of the run so I assume everthing went fine. I don't think any correction was made.

I re-tested the re-writer: BSOD... Booh...

Any more thoughts? I'm getting prepared to re-install XP over Easter... argh...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Hello,

Could I please ask a question here? hope im not intruding here, couldnt help but
read this problem.

Does the cd/dvd drive act up at all by this I mean:

When button pushed to open, does it respond in a readily fashion?
when opened , does it close right away after opening, sometimes right away
without you closing it?

Also have you checked device manager? maybe theres a problem there with a driver causing this?

·
Helper
4,126 Posts

Dump file analysis shows 2 incidents of Kaspersky klif.sys faulting due to an Instant Write executable iwctrl.exe (the latter being a cd/dvd drive utility that allows you to use these types of drive in the same way as you would a hard disk or floppy drive).

One incident of Kaspersky klif.sys faulting due to it's own avp.sys,a process belonging to Kaspersky Internet Security Suite.

So, offline, remove Kaspersky and Instant Write and reboot and re-install Kaspersky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

@Riskyone101: no worries you are not intruding. The device manager shows the cd/dvd drive as working correctly

@CCT: hmmm sounds interesting. I'll try this overnight. TVM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Well, CCT, I can only say: THANK YOU.

I did what you suggested and the BSOD have stopped on the disk that was producing them all the time.

I tested another dozen of disks with no problem: I have burned CDs and DVDs without a single problem.

So thanks again for your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.