Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got this dreaded screen on my Vista machine, have run through all the fixes on the net (literally all of them), which completed correctly, yet I still have the issue. I'm therefore resigned to a fresh reinstall, however before I do that I want to partition my drives so I dont lose any data.

I have a copy of Partition Commander 11 from work that I'm going to try, but I'm not too sure I'm doing the right thing here:

Basically I want to boot with that, so I can split my C: (which has 110gb free and about 40gb of data), into another partition, but without touching the 40gb of data thats already there? Then install Vista to the new partition, boot from that, and recover the data I want to keep from the 40gb?

My setup is like this currently

1 logical drive

C: 150gb capacity, 40gb used - roughly 5gb I want to keep)
D: (data partition, with videos/photos, all of which I want to keep)

Is this possible, or am I being a complete noob?!

·
Banned
3,544 Posts
Re: Bootmgr error, saving data using Partition Commander?

Hello and welcome to TSF, cockneyred83!

Lets focus more on your 'dreaded screen' if you don't mind - was it blue? Was it a BSOD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hello and welcome to TSF, cockneyred83!

Lets focus more on your 'dreaded screen' if you don't mind - was it blue? Was it a BSOD?
Hi,

No, not the BSOD - it was initially the BOOTMGR has been compressed (my girlfriend thought this would be a good idea), so I ran through the fixes I found, to get BOOTMGR is missing. I've run through the start up repair, the system restore (I dont have any restore points), and all the command prompt fixes as well (about 4/5 variations), and although they run through as they should, it still comes up with the same error that my BOOTMGR is missing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi Wendy,

thats exactly what I did unfortunately - all went as it should, but still hasnt fixed it! I've run through that a few times and it still just says its missing.

To be honest I'm quite happy with the reinstall, I just need to get my head round the partition logic, I've not done it before and I want to be sure I'm right in my assumptions before I start blundering in and lose my data!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Split your C drive in half (call it E:), then install the new OS on the empty one (E:).
And that'll work quite happily yeah? I'm aware I'm being a right noob with this but I've never done it before!

So my thinking is, I make a new partition (E:) from C:, install Vista there, and then I can access all my files etc?

Phew!! Thanks for your help Wendy I really do appreciate it, I've been tearing my hair out!

·
Banned
3,544 Posts

Yes, that will work, BUT, make sure (double check, even triple check) that when you're installing your new OS, MAKE SURE, you select the E: drive, or ALL your data will be deleted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes, that will work, BUT, make sure (double check, even triple check) that when you're installing your new OS, MAKE SURE, you select the E: drive, or ALL your data will be deleted.
Oh I will, some of the data is stupidly important so I will check umpteen times before doing it!

You're a lifesaver Wendy, I'm giving you a virtual smacker on the forehead for this! MWAH!

·
Banned
3,544 Posts

Haha, thank you.

Take it easy, and remember - DOUBLE check as it's VERY important - I can't stress this enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

thanks! oh and sorry for calling you Wendy, just realised thats not actually your name (hey, I'm tired!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.