Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Win 7 x64 SP1 Acer Aspire G3600 system w/1.5 TB boot hard drive. It has the boot drive (C:), the System reserved partition, and the restore partition on it. I copied the C:\ partition and the System Reserved partition to a 64 GB SSD using EASEUS partition Master 4.1.1 Professional. Didn't copy the Restore partition -- not enough space on the SSD. But I've tried to boot from the SSD and can't. I get an error message like "Bootmgr is missing press Ctrl-alt-del to reboot." What am I doing wrong? And how can I fix it? I would appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Booting from SSD cloned from boot disk

Thanks. I'll try it and let you know how it comes out. But won't the restore disk try to also install the restore partition? There isn't enough room on my 64GB SSD for that. I'll probably try it before you can answer, so you may as well wait until I try it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

OK, I tried installing to the 64 GB SSD and it didn't work. I got an error message like "error code 0x5 (Access denied)." I'm not sure it's because the 64 gig SSD is too small, but I suspect that's the case. All I know is that the hard drive with the C:\ root on it uses about 85 gigs for the OS and the Restore partition. BTW, I unplugged the hard drive before I tried to install. Tuesday I'll exchange the SSD for a 128 gig unit. I'll let you know what happens after that, probably on Wednesday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Success! 120 Gig SSD did it. The 64 should have worked too. I don't know why it didn't - probably something stupid (unconsciously, though) I did. Oh! Maybe I forgot to include the invisible restore partition -- yes. Anyway, I'm a happy camper!:pray: Thanks, jcgriff2, for your interest and help. I won't say goodbye -- I'll probably be back sometime soon. I'm always screwing something up.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,389 Posts

Please come back anytime, any questions. "screwing up something" -- would definitely include me... I think of it as experimenting or testing the limits of my system! :)

Glad you got this solved.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.