Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a computer running XP and it starts up with some text and then goes to total black screen. I know it is not the monitor because it is working right now with another or different computer. I do not have a start up disk made for this computer that I know of. Is there anything I can do? Thanks

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Re: Black screen

Hi ranman01,

Please post your computer specs to the best of your knowledge. Posting computer specs definitely helps better troubleshoot your computer issues.

When was the last time the computer was able to work successfully? Try and see if your computer is able to boot into Safe Mode successfully. To boot into Safe Mode, turn on your computer and immediately keep on tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. When the Safe Mode Menu comes up, choose "Safe Mode w/ Networking". You can also try another option in the Safe Mode Menu called "Boot to Last known good Configurations" and see if that helps out.

If none of those options work, I highly recommend getting your hands on a Windows XP CD and boot the computer to it. Then on the main menu, choose "R" to go to the Recovery Console and then perform a "Check Disk Repair". After the check disk repair process is finished, I recommend "Fixing the Master Boot Record". Good luck and hopefully everything works out for you.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts

Depends. If it's the exact same version, for example OEM XP Home, or Retail XP Pro, then it might. Some manufacturers' make it more difficult to use generic disks though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok right now with out doing anything the computer screen now says,
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this appears again, follow these steps.
Check for viruses on your computer, remove any newly installed hard drive or hard drive controller.
Check your HD to make sure it is properly configured and terminalted.
Run CHDSK /F to chk for HD corruption and then restart your computer.
Technical information: Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF789E640,OxC000003x,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I never got this before but I took both drive out installed in another computer and tried to get files off that I needed and they were not there. So I put them back in and this is what has come up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I had to got into the BIOS and make my cd player the booting rather than the hd.
So after it does the repair I will go back into the Bios and make the HD the boot and see what happens and let you know!

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This error can be caused by a virus, but also a bad hard drive or drivers. I would run a scan with your hard dive's manufacturer's diagnostic tools. Who is that? If you can't find out, the Western Digital tools do work on other drives. Here's the link to the bootable disk version of Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics: WD Support / Downloads / EIDE (PATA) / WD Caviar Blue

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ok the code I got says that the drive is defective and to replace. It was the smart code 0159. So a new one is on order. Thanks for your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.