Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

this is a first post for me, possibly the only time i have ever not found an answer through searching forums! Anyways, the problem:

the BIOS, on restart will reset any FSB changes i make in the previous session, but NOT anything else... the clock is fine, and all voltage/bootup/etc. settings will be as i have set them except for the FSB, which resets back to "auto" every time! (kinda important for OCing -.-)

Unless i'm mistaken, if the CMOS battery needs replacing then the entire BIOS will reset and this certainly isnt the case

My system is:
Striker Extreme mobo
Q6600
4gb Geil EVOONE ram
(gtx285 graphics and a 850WPSU)

And i have the 1504 update on the BIOS

I hope i havent missed something obvious,
Cheers

Ollie

· Registered
5,747 Posts
Re: BIOS Resets ONLY fsb changes

Sounds like the mobo doesnt like your ram settings. Is the ram set to
the proper voltage? How much are you overclocking the ram? What
are the specs of the ram, speed wise..

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

the voltage is set at 1.95V, and it is on "auto" (this is 1/2 of the problem) for the speed at 800mhz (i.e the clock is at 400), but it is 1066mhz ram with 5-5-5-15-2

Ollie

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts

Geil RAM is infamous for problems and generally not good for OC'ing.
Try using one stick at a time.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

hmm tried both sticks separately and also tried them both in dual on slots 2 and 4 rather than 1 and 3...

still - every time i change any speeds, on restart it goes straight back to auto; argh :4-dontkno
i've attached a picture of what it refuses to alter

Ollie

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

I'm not sure how to 'enable bios caching' there doesnt appear to be any options for it; but here are the current settings for the tweaking part of the bios.

The FSB and memory config is in the above picture, and also all of the Spectrum spread stuff is disabled...

Cheers for all the responses too! :D
(sorry about the .bmp images :S)
Ollie

Attachments

· Registered
829 Posts

do you have any software overclocking programs installed maybe something that was bundled on the motherboard cd? I'm just curious if it only resets after you boot into windows. maybe try any bootable cd/dvd you might have just to start computer up and boot into a non windows environement and see if fsb resets after restart.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well it is an ASUS mobo so it came with the AI booster/AINOS thing for tweaking (never used it) and a PC monitoring system PC probe. but it resets before or a the same time as post, as opposed to booting into windows. I hit F10 and save changes then if i hit del in the next few secs after restart to get back into bios, it has changed back...

I'm gonna get a new CMOS battery anyways to check, though i'm pretty sure it isnt that

Ollie

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hmm... replacing the battery with the new one, actually worked! :O

Cheers for all the help anyways!

it is rather odd, perhaps it was a faulty battery - i didnt realise as i havent OCed yet

Thanks again

Ollie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.