Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My system is fairly ancient Dimesnion 2400 and I had a external dvd combo drive that was taking up space so i decided to take it out of its external case and hook it up to the IDE port in one of my empty drive bays. But, as of now it does not recognize that there is a dvd combo drive connected to that port even though i had a cd drive that worked just fine. Any ideas on how i can get BIOS to recognize my drive?

Also, i have tryed resetting the BIOS and letting it configure but it still doesnt find the drive thats hooked up to my Secondary Master port.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Re: BIOS not recognizing my dvd combo drive

Did you set the jumper pins the same as the drive you replaced?
Are there any other drives connected to the same IDE cable?
If the DVDRW is the ONLY drive on the IDE cable, set it to CS (cable Select) or Master.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

how would i go about putting it on cable select? im fairly new to this stuff sorry. and yes it is connected the same way the other drive was and its the only drive connected to that port.

I also found that this external drive is an ultra speed would that mean i need a DMA cable instead of an IDE?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

actually i figured out how to and it turned out that it was addressed as a slve instead of master so i switched to master and what do you know there it is. Thanks for your help though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.