Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i have a problem with my laptop. Its an HP envy 15 1060ea with an i7 720 qm processor and 4 gig ram so it is a fairly reasomnable spec. What i dont understand it how at this spec can it take 5 minutes to shut down :upset:
it used to take under 30 seconds and it has started to take longer and longer. i have 6 games installed but still have 180 gb free on the hard drive which is defragmented on a regular basis an disk clean up is also used frequently and i am running very few startup programmes. I just cant get the stuped thing to shut down at a reasonable speed someone please help :sigh:
Thanks

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Bill Gates - I have a problem.....

its about the same but i checked the performance and information tools and in the advanced tools it says that disk clean up manager is interfering with windows starting up and shutting down. I think that this my be the culpert how do i disable this on start up? I also tried system restore to before i installed some programmes and shutdown time is halved but the shutdown time is still much longer that it was a couple of months ago.

· Registered
118 Posts

Try with below method, to shutdown the system quickly

1. Hold windows key and press letter R from keyboard it opens a run window at start
2. Now type "shutdown -i" without quotations and click on ok.
3. It opens a Remote shutdown dialog window , under display warning for option enter time as 30 seconds incase if it is of more than 30.
4. In comments box enter as bye
5. Click ok.

This should make system to turn off with in 30 seconds....

Please try it and check..

All the best.

Cheers....

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i fixed it i disabled windows defender then reinabled mcafee, ran sfc/scannow in command prompt and removed this tune up software that i installed a while back that seemed to slow the computer down rather than speed it up and shutdown is about 20 seconds.

· Registered
118 Posts
That's phantastic, however you can also make use of the steps that I provided to shutdown the system which is an other method using "shutdown -i" command which can also be used in a network.

cheers..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.