Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to format a windows xp computer and will re-install again the same OS. After reading some sources, I understand I need to copy drivers folder from the path - %systemroot%\system32\drivers . And in the fresh XP, i shall simply replace the drivers folder.

I wonder if this is correct procedure or shall I need to copy anything else.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: backup windows xp drivers before formatting

No, It wouldn't work. You need driver software ready to install for your hardware not the installed one. So, Download the drivers from a reliable resource by giving proper hardware name & model.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts

What is the make and model# of your computer/motherboard? Before you format, go to the manufacturers support/download drivers and type in your make and model# or service tag # and download the Chipset and Network adapters for your model and save them to a USB Flash drive.
Then boot up off of the XP CD and Format the Windows Partition and install XP. When it's done, Plug in the Flash Drive and install the drivers. Thengo to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, Take note of the devices with yellow flags. Once you have internet, return to the manufacturers site and download the rest of the drivers you need from the Device Manager.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks Jinionline and spunk.funk.
@spunk
Thanks for the detailed procedure. This desktop is HP dc7600. I downloaded basic drivers as per your suggestion from internet and going to format now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.