Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there guys, I am having a real problem with my Windows Media Player 11 playing .avi files.

My digital camera records videos and they have played on my machine with WMP no problem at all until yesterday. When I click on the file to play it it says "Window Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assitance, click Web Help."

I have had had a good around and I can't resolve this problem. The problem seems to have occured since I installed DivX Player, Codec etc.. (the installer package). Since then I have tried uninstalling it to go back to how it was and also tried doing a system restore to the point before but still the same problem.

Don't know what to do but this problem also effect Windows movie maker, it won't player the avi files in there either, please help.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Re: .avi files not playing in Windwos Media Player on Vista after DivX installed

Hi ellisd5, as far as i'm aware Divx is not Vista compatible but don't quote me on that. Best thing I can suggest is to download and install the latest stable release of K-Lite codec pack as that may restore normal functionality to your avi files (be sure to remove any currently installed codec packs first though).

Hope that helps :smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: .avi files not playing in Windwos Media Player on Vista after DivX installed

Ok Nickster, I will try that when I get home.

Another then just looking in the unstall programs bit in Control Panel, is there another way I am meant to remove codecs ?

Thanks
Dale

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts

Yes, but it requires manually searching then unregistering them and removing keys from the registry so it's not really advisible unless you know what you're doing. Usually, just uninstalling any installed packs via the control panel will do the job though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I tried installing that, every thing was removed using add remove programs before that and it has made no difference.

Any more ideas of what I can try? Dunno if the following information helps...

Windows Media Player wont play them
Windows Movie Maker wont play them
Nero Show Time wont play them

VLC WILL play them.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts

Definitely seems like a codec issue as VLC installs its own set of codecs...kinda strange that k-lite didn't sort it??

Does the same happen for all user profiles on your system?

Also, does this happen with all .avi files or just the ones which you create with your digital camera? There is a utility called GSpot which is bundled with k-lite and you will be able to use that to identify the specific codec needed to playback individual files so that may be worth a shot. You can find it from your start menu -> programs -> k-lite codec pack -> tools folder. Just load it up and select file -> open and browse to one of the files.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for reply...

I only have the one profile so can't check that.

I don't actually know about that, I did mean to see if other .avi files other than ones off the digi camera work but I don't remember doing it, so I will give that a go later, see if its just those ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I did try another one and that did work fine. So seems just the ones off the digital camera have stopped working. Ran that tool you menioned, says the following for one of the avi's from digi cam ...

Container
File Length Correct
AVI v1.0
Video: 38.2 MB (98.57%)
Audio: 509 KB (1.28%)
AVI Overhead: 59.3 KB (0.15%)

User Data /MetaData
[ISFT] OLYMPUS FE230/X790
[JUNK] OLYMDigital CameraOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[JUNK] Sat Aug 18 21
[JUNK] 52 2007
[JUNK] Sat Aug 18 21
[JUNK] 52 2007

Codec: MJPG
Name: Motion JPEG

Nothing in the proposed solutions and tests bit.

So what can I try to do now to make it them work again? That codec seems wrong, seems like its assoicated with a mpg codec ??? could be wrong, how can I change this?

Thanks
Dale

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts

Hi Dale, please try uninstalling K-Lite then reinstalling but this time, choose the 'Lots of stuff' install option then reboot and try again.

Let us know how you get on with that please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi Nickster,

Tried doing that, nothing has changed unfortunately :sigh:

Is that something I can do in the registry to point that type of avi file at the right codec??

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts

The codec association should get registered during the installation process so i'm not really sure what is going wrong there.

You could try a different codec pack. In the past, Ace Mega Codecs Pack v5.93 served me extremely well...I have no problems playing any content all all, including some formats which were not covered by more recent packs. The only downside is that the codec versions are not as new as packs released these days...but if it makes your files play with no hassles, then it's a bonus :smile:

Also, it may not be easy finding v5.93 as there are newer version available now..but it'll out there somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

:grin:

Yes its working again !

Managed to find that 5.93 ace codec pack, installed it and it actually made it worse, however in the icon for any.avi file it had a picture of the movie as its thumbnail so it seemed like the assoication part had worked.

Uninstalled ace codec pack and bingo, all working again.

Thanks for your help Nickster, very grateful :smile:

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts

You're welcome but sounds like you did all the hard work yourself.

Just out of interest, when you install Ace Mega Codecs pack you can choose to run what is called the 'aggressive codec remover' (or something similar), this will unregister all currently installed codecs to avoid any conflictions with the codecs which are bundled in the pack. I probably should've mentioned that already :grin:

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup it gace me the option to run the aggresive codec remover, which you did actually mention before. Seems like it worked to good effect!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.