1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You probably heard this one by now.

AVG 9 does the whole download (takes a half hour on mine) completes to 100%
and then gives the error message.

What has to be turned on or off in XP to complete the install routine?

·
Deceased
14,580 Posts
Re: AVG 9 refuses to install on new XP

It probably not XP that is preventing you from installing it, it most likely you are running something like SpyBot, WinPatrol, etc (Anti Malware protection programs).

Temporarily stop any anti malware programs you have.

BG

·
Registered
720 Posts

Sadly I've had to reload AVG dozens of times this last year, hardware trouble, and it works best if you completely remove all AVG files from the machine then reinstall.

·
Registered
639 Posts

Well i dun have any problems with avg 9 since i installed it. I used the basic edition on my laptop and the network edition at my company's workstation. All the computers previously have AVG 8.5 installed, i just started the AVG 9 installation and it takes care of the rest, even uninstalling 8.5 for me

What error message that it appears before the installation terminates

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Red type appears in a box that says a problem was enclountered when trying to complete the install. I think it said the usual about having everything in firewalls turned off.

But this is a raw install. I'm rebuilding all the programs and there's nothing on the HD.

Last night I reran it again with XP firewall off. No change. This machine goes to a 4 port switch. But so does the other one on the homenet and AVG 9 is installed on that. I even transported the folder of AVG from Programs Folder to install it locally, but that just runs the same routine.

Is there any point in looking for AVG 8.5 to just get something on the drive for virus? I don't have any virus problems usually. I won't use Kaspersky. I prefer the light touch for security programs.

Could some stray network setting cause the block. At the end of the download it apparently goes out to look for something at AVG-- like provide a serial number for the free user-- and can't do it.

·
Registered
720 Posts

AVG charges for each machine if you only paid for one it might be detecting that.
If you've tried to load it then something is left on the HD and should be removed to restart the loading.
I corresponded with AVG and they sent me a program to remove all AVG files from my machine before I loaded AVG9 since I too had a problem at first.
I never did find out why which is frustrating but it works now.

·
Premium Member
39,538 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok, well Firefox has a downloader. That's the only thing I used to get the
download. How exactly is that avoided? There is nothing else on the machine-- it's a new scratch install I'm just getting going.

Only other thing I can think of is the Cnet source or whatever their mirror was.

·
Premium Member
39,538 Posts

Downloading the file direct from the link I posted avoids any download managers. If you went to AVG directly for the original download, I think it automatically uses some kind of manager.

Using Firefox is fine - it's possible it was a corrupt download. Make sure your system is free from any previous installations, download from the direct link and then try installing again.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The link you provided I used exactly. The file that downloaded errored out as corrupted.

Is there no way to get this and install it? Why is this so hard? It never was before.

If the virus definitions can be updated in 8.5 I'd gladly use that.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ready to mark this solved almost.

I redid the download once again after looking for avg file corrupt error.

Majorgeeks has a download prompt that successfully got it on machine and it is doing initial scan now.

http://majorgeeks.com/AVG_AntiVirus_Free_Edition_d886.html

Use the major geeks (second selection) rather than author site.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yes, the initial scan completed and I did a few single download checks.

I cannot see at the moment where to mark it solved.

It sure was the long way around and I hit on the right source at Major Geeks by accident. Funnyt5 thing is the file has the exact same name while downloading as previous tries.

·
Premium Member
39,538 Posts

Sometimes these things just happen. It's happened to me in the past - first download was corrupt - try a different link and no problems - one of the joys of computers. :grin:

You can use Thread Tools at the top of the thread and choose 'Mark this thread as solved'.

Glad to hear everything is working well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.