Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am running on an Intel pentium dual core CPU, E6500 2,93 Mhz, mounted with an ATI Radeon HD 4800. My problem is that the fan of video card it making too much noise. If possible a couple of hints changing (and how much) fan speed, or any other options I have for a quieter life.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Ati radeon 4800 more silent fan

I have the same Graphics card and i looking for a new one, well the problem is that this graphics card doesn't have a fan, it has a Turbine. You should open up your computer and see for your self. I prefer you buy a new graphics card, if your not a gamer there are lots of cheap one's.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts

Is the fan noise something which only started recently or has it always been there?

A build of dust in the fan and heatsink will cause the card to overheat which, in turn causes the fan to spin up faster, making more noise. Remedy this by blowing out the dust with a few shots of compressed air.

A failing fan will often make a sort of grinding noise and you generally do not have much choice other than to replace it or the entire card.

You could look into a fan/temperature monitor application which will allow you to strike a compromise between efficient cooling of the card and fan speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the fast reply. The thing is that I keep it clean in order to prevent it from overheating. Did some tinkering about an hour ago and lowered the fan speed by 10%. The sound went to peacefull levels and the temperature of card is fixed between 43 to 45'C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yes, everything seems to be in order. Did download the catalyst center to do that, thanks for your time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.