Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Athlon 2800+ cpu (AXDA2800DKV4D) is misidentified on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board as an Athlon 2200+. I have the latest bios I could find from ASUS, rev 1009. When I set the cpu frequency to anything above 133 in the bios, the cpu will keep restarting. It will get as far as the Windows XP screen sometimes, like the OS has a problem with the settings once the bios turns things over to it. Some settings don't even get that far. I ran CPU-Z and it also shows the cpu as a 2200+ (maybe it gets its info from the bios?). It also says it has a Barton core and 512 KB L2 cache, so it can't be a 2200+ since they ony came with Thoroughbred or Thornton cores and 256 KB L2 caches. CPU-Z shows the cpu running at 1670 MHz, 12.5 multiplier, 133.6 actual bus speed, with a FSB rating of 267.3 (266) MHz. An Athlon 2800+ should have a 333 MHz FSB rating unless it's a AXDA2800DKV4C (266 FSB) instead of a 4D. Even so, a 4C will run at 2133 MHz with a 133 actual (266 effective) bus and my 4D will only run at 1670 MHz core speed at 133 MHz bus. I should be able to set the cpu bus to 166 or even push 200 for a 2800+ and get a little over 2 GHz core speed. I've tried the agressive bios options, etc, etc, but the only thing that will work is the 133 bus and optimal settings. The core voltage is correct (1.664v). This is a common and old favorite socket A board, and I am hoping somebody has experienced a similar situation and would share their insight. :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and Athlon XP 2800+ problem

Hello and thank you for your reply.
Yes, I cleared the CMOS before I flashed the BIOS by removing the battery and moving the pins to 2-3. It cleared the password and the time settings, but I'll try it again, since I only left it off for about a minute. The heatsink is properly seated, I connected it before I installed the board in the case and was able to see that it was.
Also, the cpu_fsb jumper is set properly on the board (pins 1-2 for 266, 333, 400 FSB) for As far as voltages, the cpu vore is set to AUTO in the BIOS and CPU-Z shows 1.664v. The memory is set to OPTIMAL and shows 2.6v on the BIOS and 2.5v on CPU-Z. I must note that CPU-Z also shows the memory frequency at 133 MHz, probably due to the Optimal settings of the BIOS. I have tried to change the memory and the cpu frequency to 166 MHz in the BIOS, but it won't run with those settings. I have tried the Agressive settings in the BIOS also. AGP is 1.5v. It all looks good, but the part I can't figure out is why the cpu is identified as a 2200+ instead of a 2800+. Even the System Properties in Windows shows the cpu as an Athlon XP 2200+ running at 1.67 GHz, probably because the BIOS told it so when it booted. Any attempt to run the cpu at a faster bus won't work. I am wondering if this board has issues with certain Athlon XP processors. According to the ASUS support site, however, this cpu is compatible.
One more time with the CMOS clear, this time for the 10 minutes you suggested. The manual said to remove the battery and move the jumper pins from1-2 to 2-3 "momentarily." Wish me luck. I'll post my results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It didn't help. I left the battery out and the jumper pins set to clear CMOS for over 10 mins. I started and set BIOS date and time and set cpu and memory to 166 MHz. It will POST fine, but it gets as far as the Windows XP screen and restarts. There is a brief blue screen, too fast to read. I tried different PC2700 RAM modules; same result. I reset the cpu freqency to 133 and the memory to AUTO, and Windows will run fine. I'm thinking the problem is with the OS since it will POST ok and boot with the faster settings. Maybe Windows doesn't like something the BIOS has set up for it. The cpu is still misidentified as a 2200+ instead of 2800+ in the System Properties and CPU-Z. I could be content to let it run as such, but I know it should do better and I love a challenge. I'll check back for suggestions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Interesting. I've been surfing the forums and find out that the versions earlier than 2.0 of this board have had issues. My board is the first version, 1.04. Maybe it has some bugs. Maybe I'll have to be content running the XP 2800+ at whatever it will let me, even though ASUS says it is compatible. Seems a waste of the processor's potential. It may be time to look for a newer version or a different make or model of a socket A board. Older boards are cheap. A lot cheaper than the time it takes to figure out the problem. I still love a challenge, however, so I'll keep the investigation open and keep tinkering for a bit longer. I can also recognize a hopeless situation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

According to the ASUS web site support, the latest BIOS version for my board (rev 1.04) is BIOS ver 1009 which I have flashed and verified. Later BIOS updates specify that they are only for PCB revision 2.0 and later. Ver 1009 specifies support for AMD Sempron, 3D Labs AGP card compaibility isuue, and update SATA ROM. There are a few earlier BIOS revisions which specify new CPU support among other issues, but I would think the lastest revision would include all prior updates. Am I wrong? Should I go backwards with the BIOS to see if an earlier version fixes the problem? Rev 1004 and 1006 specify support for new CPU.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

You could try to boot with the jumper on pins 2-3 as 200mhz, then before the next boot rejumper it correctly. As a last resort I would flash the bios to an earlier version to shake the bios up, you can always go back. Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK. No luck with the jumper switching. The system booted with the jumpers set to 200fsb but cpu-z showed the processor ID as just an Athlon. It also showed the memory running at 100MHz and the cpu the same. When I went back to the 1-2 pin fsb jumper setting, I was right back where I started: the system will only run at 133fsb and Optimal settings and cpu-z shows the cpu as an Athlon 2200+ again. I guess I'll try a different BIOS.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

·
Registered
18,118 Posts

My room mate has the same board and a Barton-core 2500+. It runs at 1.833Ghz with a 333Mhz (166Mhz) FSB. Haven't had a problem in the nearly 5 years it's been in use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Curious. Does he happen to know which revision his board is (1.03, 1.04, 1.06, or 2.0)? Also, what BIOS version?

Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. ~Henry Ford

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well now, this is getting fun. I just had a thought and put it to a test. I went back into the BIOS and set the cpu bus to 166 and lowered the multiplier from the 12.5x the 2800+ is supposed to handle to 12x. Viola! Windows started and cpu-z says the cpu and dual-mode ram are now running at 333 MHz! BUT (yes, you smelled a but), the cpu is now identified as an Athlon XP 2700+. I think I just may have to live with that. The cpu core speed is now 1996 MHz, better than the 1670 I was getting before, but not quite the 2033 MHz a 2800+ should easily achieve.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

For a board with such great overclocking abilities, it's a shame I can only get it run with the XP 2800+ by underclocking it. This fight ain't over yet.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Hi old_dog, did you just buy this cpu? This reminds me of some pencil mods we used to try to unlock processors, sometimes it worked, other times it physically altered the chip in a bad way. Have you inspected the cpu for damage or bent pins or anything out of the ordinary? Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I bought the cpu used. I inspected it closely. No bridges. No bent pins. I cleaned what little paste was left on it with isopropyl alcohol. Seems odd that the cpu ID changes with the BIOS settings. With the 133 bus setting and 12.5x multiplier, the cpu was identified as a 2200+, but when I dropped the multiplier to 12x and upped the bus to 166, it was identified as a 2700+. I guess the cpu is identified by its settings, and the cpu ID has no affect on the BIOS settings. If this is the case, I should be able to change the settings to whatever the cpu will take and the BIOS would then identify it from the settings. That said, I don't know why the spec settings will not work with the cpu. The cpu should run at whatever it as rated, or better, and the BIOS should give it a name based on those numbers. If the settings are set to overclock a 2800+, for instance, the cpu might be identified as a 3000+. Of course, I'm using a chain of logic, not hard scientific evidence.

“The world is full of strange phenomena that cannot be explained by the laws of logic or science. Dennis Rodman is only one example.” ~ Dave Barry

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

I can't imagine what the chip went through before you got it, but I would leave the multi at 11 and up the FSB as high as possible. I don't know what brand of memory you have, but Crucial pc2700 will OC to pc3200 speeds with a voltage bump. You could always get a stick of pc3200 so you don't have to worry about oc'ing the memory too. Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thank you for your input, Mike. True, there's no telling what skeletons are in the cpu's closet. I currently have the cpu multiplier at 12x with the fsb at 166 (166.4 according to cpu-z) and all is well, but it is only running at 1996.5 MHz. Getting back to the initial problem, the OS will not start with a 12.5x multiplier, which is what the "stock" specs should allow. I'm not trying to overclock anything; I'm just trying to run it at its normal speed. It should run over 2 GHz with no problems.
My RAM is Crucial pc2700, and from what I've researched, it will run stable at 176 fsb (352 MHz). It is currently running at 166.4 MHz with the 1:1/FSB:DRAM ratio (2.5-3-3-7) and that's ok. The fsb issues are all right now, it's the cpu multiplier that's giving me fits. Maybe a different cpu would be a worthwhile venture. It would either confirm or deny the problem being with the board, as long as I knew for sure the cpu will run at its designed specifications. Or, conversely, I could try this cpu on another board. Hmmm...

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts." ~ Calvin Coolidge

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

It would be better to test this cpu in another motherboard, rather than buying a second cpu only to find that this board is fubar. Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Good point. I bought a refurb Asrock K7VT4A Pro from Geeks that turned out to have a CMOS problem. I'm sure of that because I tried several component configurations with other known working Athlon CPU's, RAM and Power Supply, and the beep codes indicated the CMOS problem. I RMA'd it to them and 'm not sure if they are going to replace it or issue a refund. I told them that I didn't need it any more but if a replacement was their policy, I would keep it as a spare. I'll wait and see how that goes.
I didn't consider trying a different CPU in this Asus board in question because the 2800+ is working, just not to its potential. I think you are correct. It would be best to see if the 2800+ would run at or beyond its specs in another board. Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well, I got the Asrock board replacement from Geeks. I put the XP 2800+ in question on the Asrock board and the BIOS correctly identified it as an Athlon XP 2800+ with 12.5x multiplier running at 2083 MHz as it should. Unfortunately, this Asrock board has problems, too, so it is going back. It's not as good a board as the Asus A7N8X Deluxe anyway. That's fodder for another forum.
Now that I know the CPU is not the problem, I'll hunt down a later version of the A7N8X Deluxe (Rev 2.0) and give it a try.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.