Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running Windows XP SP3, with all updates current. The computer itself, I built myself about 6 years ago. The hard drive with XP on it is less than 2 years old. Whatever else you need to know about it, please ask and I'll tell you.

When I try to start my computer, everything looks and sounds normal, until the XP loading screen is done. Where I should be seeing my log in screen, instead I see a black screen. No flashing cursor or anything.

But, the problem started a little before this. About four hours ago, I put my computer on standby. (I normally do this when I expect to return shortly, and haven't had any problems before.) I have it set up so that I can press any key, and the computer wakes up. Well, when I came back, my computer fans were running, the screen was black, and the light on my monitor was amber instead of blue. One of my cats was sitting in my computer chair so I thought she had walked across the keyboard. I hit the 'space' key, expecting to wake the monitor up, but it didn't. I pressed a few more keys, moved the mouse, pressed more keys, and still no response.

Pressing the reset button was my next move. My computer fans went silent, (which hasn't been what occurred in the past when I pressed reset.) then they came back on. After about five seconds, everything shut off again for about two seconds, then on for five seconds, and it continued this off and on cycle. I pressed and held the power button, which normally forces the computer to shut down. It did not. On one of it's powered off cycles, I turned the switch on the power supply off.

About two minutes later, I turned the power supply on. I waited a moment to see if it continued it's power cycling. It didn't, so I turned it on as usual. I booted it into safe mode, opened MSCONFIG, selected 'diagnostic start-up' and restarted. It booted normally through the loading screen, then black screen again. I went back to safe mode, reset everything to normal, restarted, and got the same results.

I disconnected that computer, set it aside, and connected my spare PC. The only other information I can think of is that the mouse, keyboard, monitor and UPS are all working fine, because I'm using them right now.

You guys have been awesome in the past and always helped me find a solution. So I thought I'd start by asking for some input, rather than try a bunch of things first and possibly make things worse.

Also, I hope you're all having a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and/or enjoyable winter holiday of your choosing.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
12,093 Posts
Re: After loading screen, screen goes black.

Greetings roger97338 Merry Christmas, :noel:

Have you tried booting into the 'Safe Mode' screen and selecting Last known Good Configuration?

Try this and post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have the problem PC at another desk. It's connected to a mouse and keyboard, a monitor, power, and nothing else. I turned it on, it booted as normal to the select your boot method screen, I chose 'Last Known Good,' it continued as normal through the loading screen, then black screen again.

The hard disk activity light on the case is flashing off and on. All fans and lights are on that are normally on. No odd noises or smells. No magic smoke escaping. :grin:

After about five minutes, I pressed the reset button, started in "safe mode," and powered it off from the safe mode log in screen.

I'll resist the urge to tinker with it. (I promise!) :thumb:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Greetings roger97338 Merry Christmas, :noel:

Have you tried booting into the 'Safe Mode' screen and selecting Last known Good Configuration?

Try this and post back with the results.

Kind Regards,
Yes, I did. In fact, I was posting that I did that at the same time you were asking. :smile:

·
12,093 Posts

Have you got your Windows® XP Professional CD?
If you do, set the BIOS to boot from the CD; then, insert the CD and let it boot from the CD (the F8 Key will get you in there).
Follow the on-screen prompts to do a "Repair" of the installation; it will not erase any of your Files/Folders.
Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Have you got your Windows® XP Professional CD?
If you do, set the BIOS to boot from the CD; then, insert the CD and let it boot from the CD (the F8 Key will get you in there).
Follow the on-screen prompts to do a "Repair" of the installation; it will not erase any of your Files/Folders.
Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
(By the way, hello, chauffeur2! And a very Merry Christmas back at you!) (Also, I wasn't trying to be clever my rhyming.) :smile:

Yes, I do have my original XP Pro disk. And I'm proceeding with the "Repair" of the installation right now.

·
12,093 Posts

That's Excellent roger97338, :4-clap:

Good Luck with it, and please be sure to tell us the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Sorry for the delay in asking this question, I'm having some "cat issues" lately. (Two of them are in administrative segregation because they aren't nice to my special needs kitty.)(Yes, I have a literally retarded cat.)

Anyway, for this repair installation, will I need to install the SCSI drivers via the F6 method, like I would for a new installation of Windows? I don't have any drives set up in RAID using ICH10 anymore. (I did when I last installed Windows on the problem computer.) I do, however, have two drives mirrored through Gigabyte's proprietary SATA slots and software. I'm looking through my motherboard manual right now, because I don't have any memory of how I last went about setting up the Gigabyte software. (EP45t-USB3P)

No big deal to install those drivers, I see a floppy for the Intel drivers, and a floppy for the Gigabyte drivers...except I've removed the floppy drive from that computer. (D'oh!)

So, if I don't need to reinstall the RAID (or SCSI adapter, as the current screen states) drivers, I'll continue on my merry way with the repair. If I do need to install them before continuing, I shall have to search around my house and garage for the floppy drive, because (of course) it isn't anywhere handy.

I hope that made sense. I think my cats are negatively effecting my mental health.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts

You should not need to install any drivers for the HDD since it is already in use and you are just running an XP Repair Install.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

After I asked about installing additional drivers via F6, I cancelled the installation and shut down the computer. Specifically, it was at the screen asking me to insert a floppy, awaiting my input. (I'd selected F6 out of habit, then posted the question about if it was necessary.)

Now, I restarted the computer, and restarted the repair installation. The screen had progressed to where is said either 'loading Windows' or 'loading Windows files.' I turned my back to it, and when I looked again....(drum-roll.....) BSOD.

The message is:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'm calling it quits for tonight, gentlemen. 'Tis past my bedtime! :grin: Tuesday I'll be busy until late, so I may not check back in until sometime Wednesday. Thank you both for your assistance! And again, happy holidays!

·
12,093 Posts

Hello roger97338, :wave:

I have done a little 'hunting' for you and come up with this link, that might just have the solution that you are looking for.

Give this method a try and post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hello again!

Thanks for taking the time to look up that error for me! I did exactly what was suggested, restarted my PC and it took me to the log on screen just like it should! Earlier, I'd used MSCONFIG to start in diagnostic mode with minimal everything, so I re-enabled everything and again...it started flawlessly. I restarted it a few more times, just to make sure.

Then, for sh***s and giggles, I went back to the bios and changed back from IDE to RAID. And it started flawlessly. Multiple times.

I feel much like the boy who cried wolf right about now. :uhoh:

I'm at a loss as to what caused this problem, and then what fixed it! I've not changed any hardware in about six months. The last software I changed, was installing Skype, which is replacing Live Messenger. That was a day or two, and at least one restart, before I had problems.

So, the problem has fixed itself. Any theories about what happened? Any advice to prevent it? I'd rather reinstall everything at my leisure, than wait for another problem, if you think that might be a solution.

·
12,093 Posts

Hello roger97338, :wave:

That's great news that your machine is now behaving itself. :4-clap:
As far as what caused it, and how to prevent it in the future is anybody's guess.
Put it down to the fact that its the Windows® Operating System, trying to test our knowledge and stamina, by wrestling with it. :rofl:
Without saying it too loud, because it might hear us, we have conquered it.

All the best, and enjoy the rest of your holidays.

Kind Regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.