Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I repair computers myself I can't figure out this problem relating to my own PC :rolleyes:

I updated the BIOS for Gigabyte GA-35DS_3R motherboard. After restarting it boots into Vista Premium normally but randomly shuts down anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes later.

It boots into Safe Mode no problem and I've left in on overnight without it shutting down so it's not a heat problem. I've checked the BIOS settings and can't find anything obvious.

Any help would be appreciated please.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
Re: After BIOS Update PC shuts down after 5 or 10 minutes

see if there is anything listed in the error logs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Dai for your suggestion, I decided to try a restore which I had made with Acronis as I have a feeling that some drivers had become corrupt. I'll let you know if this is a success.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Back again Guys, still having this problem. I've tried a complete reinstall of Vista Home Premium and cannot complete it because after the first restart during installation it shuts down with "No Signal" on the monitor (power is still on, fans spinning and DVD drive light on).

I can still get into Safe Mode but obviously a message saying Vista cannot install in Safe Mode. It's either a BIOS or hardware fault. Can anyone think of a BIOS setting that could be causing this?

This PC is only 3 months old and has been running fine until the BIOS update. I've rerun the BIOS update a couple of times but still have this problem.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

the inicial install goes into ram and it hands over to the hard drive on the first reboot
when it stops at this point it is usually because it cannot find the hard drive
either because of a bios misconfiguration or it needs a driver installed with f6 when you first start the installation
after the bios update did you reset the cmos
no signal to the monitor is usually because it is underpowered,which should not be applicable at this stage as you don't get the full power draw until it boots into windows and hands the video over to the card
are you doing a clean install

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yes Dai I'm doing a clean install. I'm using a Hitachi 500GB SATA drive which has 3 partitions (the other 2 partitions have data on them). The drive was recognised when I was asked where to install to and I was able to select the correct partition. Do SATA drives need special configurating in the BIOS as I have most options set to default. I also cleared the CMOS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ok this is where I'm at now. I managed to restore my Acronis backup and I'm now back to where I was in the first post except that I can't even get as far as the Desktop now before it shuts down (previously I could last about 5 minutes on the Desktop first!). I can still run in Safe Mode with networking and remain as long as I like (surely this rules out any SATA problems).
Would I be right in thinking it could be a Video Card problem in the BIOS? I have a GeeForce 8600 GT card in the PCI Express slot.
This problem is killing me please HELP!

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

with the clean install
it would recognise the sata when you chose the partition to install on
but then doing a clean install wipes the partition which would mean the sata driver or whatever driver it is looking for
but you should not be able to access safe mode either after starting the clean install as there should be nothing on the partition

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Dai, after the clean install failed I restored my C Drive with Acronis and was then able to get into Safe Mode with all my files still intact.
But it still shuts down when I try Normal Mode (sometimes it makes it to the desktop for a minute or two).

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

what do you want to acheive the clean install or the restore
for the restore go into safe mode into msconfig startup
untick the boxes and see if it starts normally

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I want to keep the Restore (I only tried the new install to see if it worked). I've already tried Msconfig and selected Diagnostic Startup (unchecks all the boxes) but after loading the desktop it shuts down after only 10 seconds.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

if you have a normal copy of vista run
sfc /SCANNOW
and see if one of the system files has become corrupted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ran sfc and still shutting down.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

try back flashing to the previous bios
i am begining to think it may be the m/board

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Dai, I think you've solved the problem :pray: Don't know why I didn't try this before (reverting back to old BIOS). I've booted into Vista no problems and it has stayed on for the last hour OK.
But why would a BIOS update cause this problem? Surely an update is meant to improve things :4-dontkno
I'll let you know if it's still ok tomorrow. Thanks for your help and time. :wave:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Still running this morning Dai. I take it to be solved.
Thanks again :smile:

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

if you need the bios update try downloading a fresh copy and trying it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.