Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fixing a friends computer, and one of the problems is that the sound does not work. I narrowed it down to the device drivers, so I reinstalled them. Unfourtunately, that did nothing, throwing a code 10 in the device manager, even though I went to Acer's site and downloaded the right drivers. I checked the BIOS next, but the BIOS didn't even give an option to do anything regarding sound. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: Acer 5000 AC'97 Device cannot start

Sorry, but your link does not lead anywhere....

But I do believe I tried both of the drivers that were on the site and installing them both at the same time. I'll give it another shot. But does anyone have any other ideas?

*EDIT*I tried installing both at the same time, but nothing changed, same code 10 in the device manager.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I could open it. I think I made that last post with the intention of finding said article about having to have both drivers installed, but I grabbed both of the drivers again and installed them, to no avail.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts

Hi,
Have you installed the UAA Driver?
Have you done a full MS update?
Uninstall the Sound card driver.
Then in stall the UAA driver. Here is a link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zu9xxxbxl2x
This is for XP SP2. If you have a different SP please post what it is.
Reboot and then install the Sound driver that Triggerfinger linked you to.
Reboot.
Let us know how you make out.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It just so happened that I upgraded to (XP) SP3 yesterday afternoon. Do they make an update for that or is it already included. But the sound does not work under SP3 either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Okay. I uninstalled service pack 3 and all of a sudden the sound started working. It did not work prior to the SP3 installation, so I do not know why it works know. But thank you for your help, guys! If it happens again in the future I will use your advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.