Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've recently (I'd say about a week ago) noticed dwindling internet speeds. I am using a wireless connection, but I have a 5-bar (Excellent) status on it, because it's literally right under my room.

The problem is that my download speeds are horrendously low all of a sudden, and I couldn't figure out why. And it's quite rare since I usually fix all tech-related problems on my own.

To be more specific, around last Wednesday I had noticed that I couldn't really stream 1080p or 720p YouTube videos without waiting about as long as the video, which I didn't mind. Then on Friday I had to wait twice as long for the video (I was watching an LP on Mass Effect 2) to load. The video was only about 9 minutes, but I ended up waiting 15-20.
I noticed there was a problem when I tried continuing the LP (one video at a time) at 720p, it took 10 minutes for me to watch one minute. I gave up on HD and went to 380p just to be safe. It took just as long to load as the video. I then realized something was wrong. I run virus scans 3 times a week, sometimes more, usually before school and nothing has popped up.
I've ran it every night since Saturday. Still nothing.

Now, I checked my download speed and I'm at a snailing 16.6kb/s.
That's disgusting.
I thought it was the router so I checked the computer downstairs. It had a whopping 678kb/s. I then checked my laptop. 24kb/s (it's only gotten lower since). I went into my router through Firefox and checked to see if anything was out of the ordinary. Nothing. I checked my sister's laptop as well, but made sure to disconnect mine during the check. She had about 660-678, it wobbled at about there. I disconnected hers and checked mine. 16kb/s. It seems to be just this laptop.

If anyone could enlighten me on how to fix this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Abnormally slow internet.

I've done that already.
I've cleared the browser settings on IE (I don't use that but I still cleared) and on Firefox, then restarted the browser, and then my computer and there was no change in speed.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

Welcome to TSF,

Please post your speedtest results.

Are you running/using any P2P Programs (kazaa, bittorrent, or similar)?

Anyone in your house might be hogging the bandwidth? Streaming videos, downloading stuff?

Is your wireless connection secured? You don't want it left unsecured bec. others might be tapping in your Wi-Fi connection.

Please let us know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'll try it smit right after this speedtest...and the results are...This.. Uhm...2xg it had 5450ms..I'll post a screenshot
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1243169542.png

No, I'm not running any P2P programs (even checked Task Mgr), just to make sure, I deleted bittorrent.
My wireless connection is secured but my sister insists on using the router so I typed in the password. I'm sure she doesn't have a keylogger because the day we got it out of the box she asked me to log her in and it connected before we even set up the laptop's win7 account.

Although, she is on Skype and/or Pandora/Youtube a ton, but it hasn't interfered with me at all. I even asked her if I could test to see if it was hers and my download/upload speed did nothing but go even lower...

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

The test doesn't look good at all.

Do another test, from your sister's computer, and do a speedtest and post it here.

Also, make sure to tell her not to do any Skype and/or Pandora/Youtube and see how your browsing is. Do this for at least 15min, then do another speedtest from your computer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

o_O
I'll check with my mom, she said she'll call them but it's too late to get any sort of response, so I'm guessing it'll be sometime tomorrow.I'll update the status as soon as possible, thanks for your help thus far :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ah, We managed to get someone to respond to us, and he was quite thorough and helpful on the issue. He ran some tests and examined the router to make sure nothing was wrong, and he asked me to test it and it's just as fast as before the problem occurred. What was happening was that our ISP was upgrading their equipment to keep up with supply and demand, since our vicinity is growing rapidly (20,000 according to the census), they're still working on the upgrades and it should take around 2 weeks for them to be done.

Until then it may get a bit slower but not as slow as before since they're still upgrading and the servers might get busy. He said that if the internet speeds get that slow again there may be something wrong with the router and they would send someone to fix it. But as of now it's perfectly fine.

I greatly appreciate your input, patience and time though 2xg and smit, but I think the problem is solved :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.