1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a simple question for most...
I have a small SOHO setup.
Cable Modem --> D-Link Router --> 2 PCs networked together using TCP/IP
I am just curious how it is letting me ping from one PC to the other by using the HOST name of the PC. I know pinging the IP should work but how can it ping the HOST name? How is this possible since I don't have a DNS server running and I haven't modified the HOSTS file to tell the PCs that this HOST name is tied to this IP address.
Does it have something to do with NetBIOS?
Thanks...just wanted to know how it works under the hood.
Sman

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Able to Ping host names without DNS installed, how is it working?

I think there are settings in the router that resolve the names. Type in the address to access your routers settings and see if DNS is enabled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Derg,
However I have looked through the router thinking the same thing. Maybe a simple DNS table is populated but I couldn't see anything. Just an area to put the IPS's DNS servers for resolution of outside addresses.
Any other ideas?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts

Does it have something to do with NetBIOS?
Yes, and it is highly propable that your PC's are getting the NetBIOS information from the router.

I'm not 100% on how this works, but I found another user who described it pretty well...

twwabw said:
If this is strictly a peer-to-peer LAN (vs. Domain) then the only only mechanism in place for name resolution is NetBIOS. In order for that to work, NetBIOS over TCP/IP has to be enabled in the network connection properties. Also, the default XP/2000 setting is usually "obtain NetBIOS settings from DHCP Server".
In this case your DHCP server is your router.

edit: good link asidman!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thank you Elf & asidman,

The article helped out greatly!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

Glad we could help.
If you have no more questions, please mark the thread as solved in Thread Tools in your first post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.