Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
For some reason or another my pc has decided not to power up.Everything was fine yesterday now this :upset:

Asus A7N8X Rev 2 latest bios update Deluxe. No PSU light or fan spinning MB Green light on & nothing else. I have tried the PSU (Taken out PC) shorting Green & Black powers no problem.

Any Ideas Appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Re: A7N8X Deluxe psu problem

try another power supply

simply shorting the green and grnd wires on a PSU and getting it to show signs of life is one small faction of a test! that does not mean the PSU is producing all its proper voltage parameters like 3.3volt / 5 volt / 12volt cpu power

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the replys PSU is a 650w CIC bought off Amazon. Graphics card is NVIDIA GF4MX440-8X 64MB. Is there any way of testing a PSU without another mainboard to hand

Thanks

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

Your system doesn't require a lot of power but I would still be suspicious of that PSU.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks again for the help. I have tried a working 450w psu & still no power green light on board and thats all. I cant understand why the MB would work 1 min then die the next. Has anyone got any suggestions for a good socket A board better than a A7n8x rev2 deluxe (SATA & ext usb hard disk problems) so I can use my bits

3 x 1 gb Geil PC3200
1x 500gb Sata Hard Disk
1x 250gb IDE disk
64MB agp card AMD Athlon XP 2600
Pioneer DVD RW
Sony DVD RW
AMD Athlon XP 2600

Thanks

Thanks

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Hardwa
19,823 Posts

You will be shopping for something used. That is a very good board, it's just old. I still have one in use myself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

You will be shopping for something used. That is a very good board, it's just old. I still have one in use myself.

I suppose its a matter of opinion. In my veiws & experience with this board I have had a number of problems for example

1. SATA support is hit & miss trying to restore a backup resulted in problems I had to do a fresh install with F6 which defeated the object having to start from scratch.

2. I had problems with USB external hard disk support anything over 250gb

3. Bios update seems to be an option at users peril

I have read some good views on Abit even second hand they hold a good price. I have also been looking at MSI & Gigabyte, not sure what to buy next but I dont want another A7N8X Deluxe, botom line I have found them too temprimental

Regards

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

Asus & Gigabyte are the two better brands of Mobo's. ABit are a lower quality board and I believe they are made by ECS.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for that Tyree assuming that it is a dead MB I think Ill have a look on ebay to see whats about Im Pleased you told me about Abit, I have had a fair few problems with 2 Asus A7N8X so not really confident in buying another unless is was a different trouble free model I think ill be having a look at Gigabyte.

Happy Xmas to you & everyone on here

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

I've used several hundred Asus Mobo's (Intel) and have had very few problems.
A Happy and Safe holiday to you also.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I've used several hundred Asus Mobo's (Intel) and have had very few problems.
A Happy and Safe holiday to you also.
Ive had a number of problems with AMD A7N8X Deluxe

Sata & USB hard disk Issues I updated the bios everything ok then a few days later no power Ive give up this board has cost too much & if i had my money over again I could have easily bought a newer board with faster cpu & memory which would be a lot faster.

Regards

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

I think we've all been down that road. I was in the Auto repair business for over 30 yrs. and I've seen more than my share of spending money trying to save something only to find it would have been cheaper to replace it.:grin:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yes I agree I remember when I had a 205GTI but thats another story

Regards

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Hardwa
19,823 Posts

SATA issues are notorious for all MB's of this vintage, so simply switching to another brand or model isn't likely to solve your problems. Both of my A7N8X Deluxe boards are still operational and I haven't had any issues. There haven't been any BIOS updates in years, but both of mine were updated several times through their life without issue, although the old boot from a floppy method was used. I also haven't had any USB issues.

There are other factors that could cause problems, such as the power supply or RAM. It's also possible you simply have a flakey board...it happens, even with the better brand hardware. I also seem to recall that there are two versions of that model. I don't remember the actual problem off the top of my head, but there was a PCB change.

With all of that said, it all comes down to personal preference. I've used low quality boards and not had any issues as well. The biggest factor for older hardware like this, is typically just finding a replacement for a reasonable cost.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks for the reply Dogg

I think my board has had its day.

I think i will have a look to see what newer board, ram & processer are out there maybe something along the lines of AMD 64 bit dual core but even better if I could get something a bit quicker than that.

Again this is going to be like finding a pin in a haystack.

Cheers

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I have given up with my old MB & time for something a bit newer but on a limited budget

Im looking at ebuyer & saw ASROCK N68-S GeForce 7025 Socket AM2+ is this a reliable board?

Im not sure what processor to buy should I get an AMD dual core 64 bit or look at a AMD Phenom II X2 545 3GHz any ideas please my uses for this pc would be for rip & encode dvds & music, not gaming. what spec of ram is the norm for todays applications.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.