Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a G31M-ES2L motherboard with the latest BIOS version.

Originally I had 3GB RAM with a Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, a single 2GB stick and a single 1GB stick, I had plans to upgrade so I bought a second 2GB stick and replaced the 1GB stick, giving me 4gb RAM (I then went to 7 64 bit).

I bought a new Core 2 Quad 3.00ghz, after installing it kept crashing at bios after the "Verify RAM...Success" message (And displays 4GB in kilobytes).

I found that using 3GB with 1 2GB and 1 1GB works, 2Gb works with 1 2GB, 1GB works with 1 1GB, but 4GB with 2 2GB does NOT work.

The RAM chips both come from Global Memory, DDR2 240pin 800mhz, they served me well until this happened.
They are different types of 2GB sticks though, I ordered the same type twice but one of them turned out to be much taller than the original that I had with my 1GB stick.

I can't go into BIOS with the 4GB combo and the Core 2 Quad CPU.

I have a 600w PSU and an ATI 5770 HD GPU.
It's a 100% self-built machine.

If any more information is needed I can give.

Please help thank you very much!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: 4GB RAM crashes CPU

Does each 2GB stick individually work fine in the system - each stick on it's own works, just not when together?

What about if you reset the CMOS and try then? This might force an re-evaluation of the necessary speeds/timings. What if you switch the order of the sticks, reset the CMOS, and try then?

It might be because they are not identical RAM sticks. They're as likely to work together as not when they're not identical modules - as in, modules with the same geometries, speed and timings. It's good they're both 800MHz, but that's only part of the puzzle!

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts

In theory any combination of compatible memory sticks should work, even when they are different sizes, speeds, and from different manufacturers. But it doesn't always work that way in practice. Your best assurance of compatibility is to use identical modules.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

Mixing RAM brands/specs is always a speculative undertaking and quite often results in the problem you are experiencing. Purchasing RAM in a matched pair is preferred to avoid issues. For your Mobo a 2X2GB matched pair of DDR2800 would be good if you want 4GB of RAM.
Mushkin Enhanced (2 x 2GB)DDR2 800 $60:
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996558

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 $ 65:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
The 3GB you had is sufficient for any game and most apps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I don't understand though, as a pair they worked fine for my old Core 2 Duo, as a pair they crash with the Core 2 Quad.

I reset the cmos everytime I change the RAM, doesn't make a difference.

And I've tried all the ram in every slot in every combination, the 2 2GB sticks in any slot when together crash the CPU.

I'll buy an identicle stick again...Although if it doesn't work I'll have 4GB spare RAM lying around with my main PC only using 3GB T_T

EDIT: Ordered an identicle stick, if this doesn't work I'll be sad :<

·
Registered
61 Posts

I hope it works! If you run into more trouble, Gigabyte have published a supported memory list for all revisions of your board on your board's support page.

It's not exhaustive - so don't worry if your RAM isn't there - but it helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.