Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Been browsing for a while and now need your help.

I am helping my father set up his print shop network and now require that the shop have WIFI and internet connection on all computers.

The current setup is 3 PC's and 2 network copier/printers. The wired network runs 10.0.0... network and I cannot change the network copiers/printers to the 192.168.1.... network as these are hardwired ip address's. I need to connect all pc's to the internet now, as only 1 has this at the moment via a USB modem.

The theory is to have an ADSL wireless router onsite and have wireless dongles on all machines running the 192.168.1..... IP address range.

I have tried tonight to have both networks running and the wireless network simly will not connect to the internet. it may be the router, but it is my trusty Linksys that has been running for ages at home.

The wired NIC has static IP addressing as follows

IP Address - 10.0.0.10
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Defalt gateway - 10.0.0.72

I left the wireless card set to automatic, but still no connection. I can connect to the router via wireless but IE will not conect to the interet.

Any suggestions would be fantastic and apreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts
Re: 1 x wifi and 1 x wired lans, cannot get internet to work

First off, you're making this way too hard.

Why can't you change the addressing scheme of the existing network? Surely, the equipment is configurable, right?

Next, why not just change the router's subnet to 10.0.0.x to match what you have if you don't want to change the fixed addresses?

Since you have a wired network, why not supply the Internet feed on the wired connection, it'll be a lot more reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

First off, you're making this way too hard.

Why can't you change the addressing scheme of the existing network? Surely, the equipment is configurable, right?

Next, why not just change the router's subnet to 10.0.0.x to match what you have if you don't want to change the fixed addresses?

Since you have a wired network, why not supply the Internet feed on the wired connection, it'll be a lot more reliable.
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunatly the copiers/printers are fixed ip and subnes with the details in th e first post making it difficult.

What you are suggesting if I have this corect is to have the following

IP Address 10.0.0.10
Subnet 10.0.0.x
default gateway 10.0.0.72

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I am not sure where the gateway IP address came from, however the IP address used is the IP address for the small belkin network switch that runs the existing data network that has the PC's and the network printers.

All PC's are running with the same subnet and the same gatway IP address.

I read a support page on here saying that I should leave the subnet and the gateway areas clear. Do you think that this would work?

Thanks

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts

Well, I think it's kind of important to actually understand what you currently have running. Can you describe the entire network topology, including ALL the equipment that's connected to it, switches, routers, etc.

Let's also see this from one of the connected machines, perhaps we can figure a few things long distance.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. (For Vista/Win7, the IPv4 Address)

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks Johnwill,

I'll get to the IP details as soon as I can get remote access this week.

Whats on the current LAN.

3 PC's all on XP Pro SP2, 1 x Minolta Copy/Printer with Firey rip, 1 x cannon copy/printer with firey rip.

The PC's all have 1 x NIC and are connected together with a belkin 8 port switch, along with the 2 copiers/printers.

The main PC has a USB adsl modem attached for internet connection via the dialup connection program installed from the manufacturer.

The copiers/printers have a NIC with hardwired IP addressing, ( I am waiting on the engineers calling to advise if this can be changed to a 192.168.0.x configuration to allow for my adsl router to be in place) on a 10.0.0.x IP address range,

ip addresses:

PC 1 - 10.0.0.30
PC 2 - 10.0.0.20
PC 3 - 10.0.0.50

CANNON COPIER - 10.0.0.10
MINOLTA COPIER - 10.0.0.60

GATEWAY - 10.0.0.72

SUBNET - 255.255.255.0

I input the gateway and the IP addresses manualy, the gateway was an automatic input.

As I said, I'm waiting on the engineers for the copiers letting me know if I can change the IP addresses on the copiers to 192.168.0.x to make life easier, but failing that I need to run 2 networks, 1 wireless on 192.168.0.x and 1 wired 10.0.0.x range.

Thanks

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts

Actually, there's no reason you can't run the wireless network in the 10.0.0.x range as well.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts

Well, the reason I'm reluctant to recommend simple configurations is I don't really understand exactly what you have now. Is there a DHCP server in the network now? If so, what performs that function. Can you provide a basic network diagram of exactly how things are connected and what equipment exists in the network?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hi John,

Cracked it. You just needed to ask me the right questions for me to do more research.

Solution was simple after me making it too complex.

before the NIC's all had the following settings

IP Address 10.0.0.x
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway 10.0.0.72

Now have

IP Address 10.0.0.x
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway (BLANK)

The wireless cards have Obtain IP address automatically and the same for the DNS server.

The Belkin router stayed the same, while I was able to update the software on my Linksys ADSL router and change the IP addressing to 10.0.0.x making the whole thing work a dream.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be back soon asking for more.

config now

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Helena>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : print-be532bd3d
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain_not_set.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: