Tech Support banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was hoping if someone could offer suggestions of third party software (either free or paid) that will let me see how much space has been used, and how much space is left of hard drives mounted as a folder inside windows 10?

By this I mean in Windows you can set a hard drive to be seen in two ways. The normal way is just to give it a drive letter A-Z and when you do this you can see the free space easily on the drive.

The other way is you can mount your hard drive as an NTFS folder. The benefits of doing this way is you are only limited to 26 drives using the alphabet format and when you have NAS drives and multiple hard drives attached to a system I have run out so need to do it this way.

The problem is, when you mount a hard drive as an NTFS folder there is absolutely no way for you to see the free available space on that drive anymore within windows 10's file explorer.This is causing me issues.

I therefore just would like a simple third party software that does the job windows should and just shows the free space on those drives. I have tried a few third party hard drive space monitoring software but they also are not showing it.

Any ideas of which ones do? Free if possible but I am willing to buy something if needed.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,730 Posts
That only shows size of drive and partition Doc. I am wondering what is wrong with "this Pc" that I always put on the desktop that shows unused space in every drive or partition. The idea of using more than 26 possibilities, never having used more than 5 myself reminds me of an old time user who in the days when we made everything a partition and I can't even remember why we did that or stopped?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try creating GODMODE this is a easy way to access all DOS commands. T o creat just search the word and get instructions to set it up. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I was hoping if someone could offer suggestions of third party software (either free or paid) that will let me see how much space has been used, and how much space is left of hard drives mounted as a folder inside windows 10?

By this I mean in Windows you can set a hard drive to be seen in two ways. The normal way is just to give it a drive letter A-Z and when you do this you can see the free space easily on the drive.

The other way is you can mount your hard drive as an NTFS folder. The benefits of doing this way is you are only limited to 26 drives using the alphabet format and when you have NAS drives and multiple hard drives attached to a system I have run out so need to do it this way.

The problem is, when you mount a hard drive as an NTFS folder there is absolutely no way for you to see the free available space on that drive anymore within windows 10's file explorer.This is causing me issues.

I therefore just would like a simple third party software that does the job windows should and just shows the free space on those drives. I have tried a few third party hard drive space monitoring software but they also are not showing it.

Any ideas of which ones do? Free if possible but I am willing to buy something if needed.
Without going into disk management, you can simply right click on a disk in Windows Explorer, chose "properties", and the info you're looking for is displayed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts