Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, (hope u liked the alliteration in the title :wink: )

I run XP home on my laptop. When it's on the desk, I connect to an external soundcard (Edirol UA20) which has MIDI and high(ish) quality I/O for my audio work with Cubase et al. However, when I just want to watch a DVD in bed (I work on a cruiseship and share a cabin), I use the internal soundcard (SoundMAX) with earphones. The problem is this: If I disconnect from the external soundcard halfway thru a DVD, the DVD software still thinks I'm using the Edirol and thus is still pumping audio thru that driver, therefore I get nothing thru the headphone socket (and vice versa is also true). In fact, sometimes I have to re-boot with the Edirol unattached to force Windows into using the internal soundcard as it's default.

I know I could close WinDVD, open control panel, select sounds & audio, select the correct soundcard, click to make this the ONLY (not preferred) device, re-start WinDVD and find the right place in the film, but there's got to be a better way!

Can anyone suggest a software switch which would do all this for me without having to close WinDVD? I'm guessing there would have to be some way to effectively 'kill' one driver and start another one in it's place - is this possible?

C'mon XP gurus- scratch those braincells!

·
Banned
102 Posts
Have you tried Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio Tab then select the device of your choice from those available through the drop down arrow in Sound Playback/Default Device?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.