Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im setting up my friend's server for his new company. It's going to be a small company probably 4-5 clients running off a Windows 2000 server. I'm fairly new to all the different software out there, and Im having a difficult time choosing what type of software I should be running. I recently just graduated, and I feel this is a great opportunity to gain some experience in the industry. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on which software would be sufficient to run.

*Firewall Software - ZoneAlarm, Black Ice, InoculateIT, etc...??
*Antivirus Software - Norton, McAfee, etc...??
*Management Software - Novell(Not really sure If I need this), Trying to figure out if Win 2000 server has something like Novell already??, etc...?

If there is anything I left out that you think would probably help me please feel free to add it in.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it,
Olimits7

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
First of all what are you looking to acheive with this network as far as performance, will he be handling financial data for his company, how cirtical is the data that needs to be protected, what type of connection to the internet will he have meaning will it be connected by dial up, cable modem, DSL, and will it be connected on an as needed policy or will it be connected 24 hrs a day? Theres alot you need to consider and it's not something to take likely. Give me some more insite and I'll see what I can do to help. Also how are you going to be setting up user accounts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Instead of 4-5 clients I'll probably be setting up 10 clients. We'll be putting in a DSL line, and the server would be running 24 hrs a day. The data on the server will probably be customer account info, contract rate prices, and vendor info (using .xls & .doc files). All this info will need to be proctected from certain people on the network, which I believe you can grant access rights from Win 2000 server. I've also been looking for a server to buy, which is a litter harder than I thought. I've been looking at Dell, Tigerdirect, Gateway, & IBM. I want to get something not that expensive, but has the ability to expand as the network grows. I was looking a price range of about 1,000-1,400. And the OS system is pricey as well. For 10 clients on Win 2000 server the cheapest I saw was 1,099. If anyone knows any site with cheaper costs please let me know.

Thanks for your help,
Olimits7

·
929 Posts
Ok it's taken sometime to sit back ponder and ask myself what I'd do if I was considering what you are doing. Trust me when I tell you if you don't know what your doing fully find someone local and get help. That's first and foremost the best advice I can give you.

Now there's several ways to do this however this is what I would do. I would first consider the layout of where each computer is going to be placed. I would locate all light fixtures, power outlets, or anything that may cause crosstalk. I would go ahead and get an IP address. (This might be expensive and others might not but to me it's worth every penny.) I would then draw out a basic floor plan as to where all of my host (computers, printers, routers, switchs, etc....) were going to need to be. This is a very important step. As I layed this out I would go ahead and assign my IP addresses. You need to then get local building codes for the requirements your going to need for your network media (cables). You may think this is foolish but if there is every a fire or a fire marshal ever catches you with cabling that dosen't meet code I feel sorry for you. It want be nice. If you network your home threw walls, ceiling or even under the floor you must comply with this. If you don't believe me do it your way and let them catch you!

After making sure I had everything ready to be installed I'd begin my instalation. Now hopefully you know enough about where to place all of your host and how to install all of your operating systems. I don't know how much knowledge you have with networking so I'm kinda putting in kid terms. Oh and another TIP: do not set up and run Microsoft pirated software on there. A network with more than one host, a server thats on 24/7 and pirated software do not mix. When Microsoft catches up to you and believe me they will, you'll pay the $10000 per computer fine the courts love to enfource. Thats another if you don't believe me try it!

Ok back to the subject, for the firewall I'd use the router for that and configure it to best protect the system I was developing. That is going to be about your best line of defense. As for the antivirus I like Norton however I would look around and just see what all was out there. As for Novell get that out of your head. Win2k uses Active Directory. This is the only option you really have to tweek your system to your needs. I'm not going to go into alot of detail there because I'll be here all night and trust me it is alot to set up. (Note: If you don't know how to do it, I do consultant work and can help you threw it over the phone.:D ). Anyway if and when you get threw all of this, you'll have a top notch system. Oh and for the server I'd just build it myself. You know what you've got and it's built to suit your needs. I wish you luck and hope this is not some wild idea you got just to help a friend thinking it would save money. And don't forget to place security policies and features with-in the network to help guard your data. Anyway good luck I hope this was the answers you were looking for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Drupy for your reply. I appreciate it. Now it's time for me to build a network. :D I'll keep you updated on how my process goes.

·
929 Posts
If you need anyhelp feel free to pm me and I'll try to walk you threw problems over the phone. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.