Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good (and preferably FREE) software firewall for a Windows 2000 environment? I tried out ZoneAlarm but it fuggered my install and I had to reinstall the OS and restore my Apache server which was NOT cool. I essentailly want something that I can use to block external IPs with to prevent spamming of the various guestbooks and forums I run.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm so sick of the personal firewalls for Windows nowadays trying to do everything except what they should be doing: firewalling. Stop trying to be a popup blocker. Stop trying to protect my cookies. Stop trying to "block" spyware. Stop trying to walk my neighbor's dog. Just please stop insulting me with your little idiot buttons for users who couldn't find the keyboard in front of them. Just give me a normal firewall.

I got tired of all this and went back to the basics. I went ahead and downloaded (the no longer supported) Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0.15 (circa 2001). Set it to "Don't Bother Me" and configure the rulesets to your liking. It's light-weight, non-obtrusive, and gets the job done.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe I didn't think of that program! I remember hearing about it back when but haven't heard a thing since. I'll snoop around and see if I can still download it. Thanks! I'm just really looking for an IP blocker because doing it through the router is a major hassle.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Kerio actually bought the Tiny code, but I have found the product to be too obtrusive and overly "complex" in terms of its interface. It will also cease to be free at the end of December.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.