Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes hear a soft zooming sound from the pc-case. It's sort of a vibrating sound, as if the sounds is from a fan. It's usually not hard, but it keeps going on for a long time. A few times, these vibrating sounds were quite loud, for a short time. What could this sound be, and how can it be fixed? There aren't any warning messages from windows.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It might be a fan in the early stages of dying, I had one go once with a whirring sound, easiest way to check is take off the side of the case and carefully touch the fan, obviously do NOT touch the blades that are spinning lol, but if it has a solid centre to it apply slight pressure there to see if the noise goes away, if no solid centre gently squeeze the outer edges the same way, IMPORTANT, use common sense and don't strain the fan or stop it, only use enough pressure to slightly alter the speed, no more, if the noise goes away when doing it then thats the fan that needs replacing, hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Your best bet would be to open your case while the PC is running and listen carefully to try and pinpoint the source, being careful not to touch any of the components. It could be a number of things so troubleshooting this issue is difficult, post back with any other relevant info and we can help you more.

You should check for dust and clean your case out with a can of compressed air if necessary, including all your case fans.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed that the sound often occurs when a quite heavy game is being played. What does that mean?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Again that could be a fan, if your system is set up to monitor temps etc it may increase fan speed when it picks up the rise in temp due to an intensive process such as a game, but there might be other possibility's as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.