Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good cheap mobo/s thats socket 478? i wanna get a different mobo soo i can OC my 2.8GHZ CPU...

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Those board choices are getting scarcer since that is now an outdated technology series. However, the Northwood is such a great CPU, I cheer you on and wish you well. Oh, I do own one of these with a P4 2.8 Northwood on my spare computer. It is a great board. That being said, you might have to buy on someplace like Ebay to get one of these, but here are a couple I want you to evaluate:

ASUS P4C800-e deluxe (I have that one) It is more of a tempermental board, but has all the bells and whistles and will go down in history as a great board of its time.

ASUS P4P 800 deluxe I have a couple of friends who have this board and they love it and it is very easy to work with. (If you have questions on this one, then linderman on here is very well versed in this series and he used it up until he just built a new computer not too long ago.

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my computer is a Dell GX240, Dells have locked mobos, is what i was told a while ago...

the CPU is a 2.8GHZ 128K L2 Cache, i think it may be a Willamette..

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Socket 478 has been used for all of the Northwood Pentium 4s and Celerons, the first Prescott Pentium 4s, and some Willamette Celerons and Pentium 4s".

im pretty sure i have a 1.8GHZ Willemette Sock. 478 on my porch...

im also sure my current 1 in there is a Willemette alsoo...

i know it's deffinately not a Nortwood or anything, cause it only has 128K L2..

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

You my friend are exactly correct....my bad. Some of those later ones were 478's. Sorry for misleading you and so happy you caught that before I went out to look for 423 boards. Therefore, we are back to where we were before....I still recommend those boards I mentioned.

Note: Correction made.

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no problem dude :wave:...

i was confused lol..

and i was gonna buy the mobo off of Ebay, where i buy all my parts...

i searched 4 the 1st mobo recommended, but some of them are around $170..

im watchin 1 of the 2nd mobos..

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If you are watching, be a little patient. Those board are not that expensive at this time on Ebay. I have seen those board anymore for less that $75 bucks not too long ago. You just have to catch the right one. Don't overlook the second board, it is also a great board and as a rule much cheaper. Many who had trouble with the first one (it is tempermental), purchased the second one and got it right up and going very quickly. I am going to be selling mine when i get around to building a new Conroe, but won't be ready for a month (lack of time), so was on there exploring the market.

Some other tech might also come on and have another recommendation that might help. I like ASUS, but many like other brands so you might see if someone else has other suggestions. Then, you can evaluate all the options.

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im fine wit used mobos, as long as they work good as new:smile:...

i'll check 4 that board also, thanks..

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I have bought gads of used computer parts on ebay for very reduced prices; thats where i score all my deals on video cards for my used computer sales

tumble has said it ALL on the boards and CPU

I would grab a 3.0 Northwood CPU & either of those two boards

the trick to ebay is buying from a vendor with a good quanity of sales and very high feedback rating and no ID changes for at least 2-3 years!

I have scored some rocking deals on ebay & only got burned once on a new video card

but i am learning fast & that vendor got a scorching feedback from me! I licked my wounds and rode the horse plenty more, I never complained when i saved $50.00 and more on all the stuff that worked flawlessly! :wink:

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whys that? well if i get a different mobo, im sure my GX240 heatsink wont fit on the other board, cause Dell's gay lol...

i was just gonna keep my 2.8GHZ, and OC that...

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i do like Dells, i got 2 laptops and 2 desktops that are Dell...

it's just if u blow a PSU u gotta buy a Dell PSU, not a regular 1..

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Well because the northwood runs pretty hot at stock speeds. And i agree Dell=hell
Hi,

Feldon, I just don't think that is accurate at all about Northwoods running hot at stock speeds. Are you sure that you are not talking about the Prescott core? See, I own one presently and have built several of these for others. Therefore, I have had some experience working with them and to me, it sure sounds like you are talking about the Prescott core which does run hot.

I have a Northwood P4 as my spare computer (used to be my main) and it is a 2.8 Northwood running in an Asus P4C800-e Deluxe. My case is a standard Sonata I for my spare computer with one front fan (running slowest speed), and one rear fan (running slowest speed), and an Antec 450 Power supply. I use the standard Heatsink and fan.

The rig has the following:

1 gig ram pc3200
1 cd/burner
1 DVD/CD burner
1 Iomega 250 Zip Drive
1 Floppy Drive
1 ATI 9800 Pro Video Card
2 Sata 80 Gig Maxtors
2 IDE 80 Gig Maxtors
3 USB 500mb thumb drives
Normal other things including printer, camera, etc.
I did use Artic Silver and always use round cables for good air flow.

Now, my normal at-rest temps as shown not only by the onboard program, but also Speedfan and SensorviewPro are as follows:

CPU - 31c to 33c at all times while at-rest
Motherboard - 30c to 32c at all times while at-rest.

The under-stress heaviest temps that I have every seen are around 46c to 48c.

My friend, that is not a hot CPU by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed those are nice temps :) I must be mistaken and was thinking of the Prescott. Been out of the loop for awhile and just getting back into things hehe.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Yeah Tumble is getting the same results that I got.

3.2 Northwood ran at 32C when @ idel and 45C -50Cwhen pushed really hard

my Precott core 3.2 & 3.0 both the same results 35C @ idle and as high as 62C when pushed all out.

normal hard work (DVD editing & music playing for hours) it would get around 55C

you can overclock the Northwood (if thats what you are into) and still keep the same temps as the Precott however when OC'ing the prescott; get the burgers out; save the charcoal :eek:

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my current CPU probrably runs at around 37C, i can let it run 4 3 days straight, open the computer, and put my hand on my heatsink, and it's mildly warm...

anyway, my question is, is there a way 2 OC a Dell?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.