Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a wireless netgear network that is supposed to run at a maximum ideal condition of 108mb/s everything says the connection is near perfect. When I place a shared file into my shared documents and attempt to copy it onto another computer, the transfer speed for a 60 mb file takes 35 minutes! I know my network can handle more because the connection from each of the computers through the router to the internet is beyond 300 kilobytes a second on a bad day. The two computers are networked through a netgear router which in turn connects to cable internet. I need a way to be able to transfer files and pictures much faster than my current configuration. Someone please help...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Have you tried pinging one machine from the other to check the round-trip time of packets? How far apart are the computers? Distance matters. Are there many walls or obstacles between the router and the computers? You may have a router that is capable of running at 108Mb/s, but your wireless connection is more than likely half-duplex, which means you are only getting half that speed in each direction.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right when I am getting only half that 108mb/s speed, but after opening the command prompt and pinging the other computer, I almost instant response. The connection for the wireless adapter (one computer is wireless and one hooks via ethernet) is 7 out of 8 dots. I know my network is capable of more because I can stream video easily at 3-4 mb/s from one computer to another with ease... Is there something built into the Window's sharing that slows the transfer down, or is there alternative software that I may want to look into?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.