Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For the past six months or so my computer has been making my life a living hell. I am a student and use my computer almost nightly and depend on it quite a bit. The first thing I should say is that I live in a pretty old neighborhood, thus we have pretty old wiring in our house, and if there is any kind of storm, our power will suddenly go out. Having said that...about six months ago my hard drive (WD 80g 7200rpm) began acting strangely. I began hearing numerous clicking noises from it, and it would randomly cause the computer to freeze for short periods of time. Then if I ran a large program (such as a game) the hard drive would click like mad and the computer would just reboot. Sooner or later it just started randomly rebooting, and eventually the fatal day arrived when I saw "Insert Boot Disk or Disk Media." I assumed I had just experienced my hard drive dying, but it seemed odd that it happened after under one year of use. Luckily it was under warranty and a replacement was on the way.

After awhile the replacement drive finally arrived (exact same drive, same stats). I enjoyed its use for about four days. A storm hit a few nights ago, and sure enough, the power went out. I let the computer sit for a long time before booting up again, but as soon as I did, the strange symptoms of the previous drive began again (the new drive had been fine up to this point). Clicking noises, random freezing, and eventually I was unable to boot up. Now I know that the power going out is bad for the computer, but doesn't it seem a little odd that one power loss could destroy a brand new hard drive? Is there anything I can do about this?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Welcome to the TechSupportForums apb1215

There are a few things you can do... first is to get a good surge protector... the higher the joules it protects from the better.... and the really good ones come with warrantys so that if your HD wasn't under warranty and you were using their product and tit still crapped out they'd reimburse you for the value of the drive, or replace it.... the next possibility is to use a battery backup type of surge protection.... even in the power cuts out the batteryback up kicks in and the computer stays on.... for your purposes you probably only need like an hour backup.... just enough to save under the worst conditions and shutdown and be sure that you have time and power to spare..... Other than that.... I suggest you install a monstrous Lightning rod on your Neighbors house... that way nothing bad happens to your house or theirs (as long as it's properly grounded) and you can try to lobby city council to fix your power lines better... good luck with that though.... I hope this helped.

G

·
Welcome to the forums apb1215...................:winkgrin:

Well everybody has some solution to these sort of things...:D

Mine is when I see or even hear on the news that there is a storm possibility, I unplug everything that's related to the computer including the modem.

But that's me, I'm sure you'll hear some different views here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually do have a (I thought) good surge protector and we are buying a battery backup soon. That will protect things in the future, but do you guys think there is anything I can do about this current drive? Was a huge hassle getting the replacement sent, the warranty was like 2 days from expiring... and now about four days later it doesn't work... am I just out a hard drive now?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'd still give the manuafacturer hell... go ahead and tell them it was hooked up properly, had a surge protector, and still broke after 4 days, and for purely customer service reasons they shouldn't be able to refuse you. Then by the time you get it you'll already have the battery backup so it shouldn't happen again... but I kinda agree with Speedo... if you know its storming make a point of not using it unless you absolutely have to

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.