Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I posted here about a week ago about having some bsod issues and the general reply was basically the ram was dead. So I upgraded my Ram. Everything was fine for a few days up until today. My bsod issues are gone but now that I have this new ram I have a totally different set of issues that I just dont know how to solve or even where to begin looking, I will start from the beginning of my problems.

First I had an issue where the pc wouldnt boot, when i turned it on, I just got intermittent beeps (about 4 seconds long) and the monitor wouldnt come on at all. I think this was caused by me knocking the cable for the heatsink fan so once I checked that was ok, the pc booted fine.

Now, the pc seems very sluggish, I was in the middle of playing a game and everything locked up and the speakers started to make an awful buzzing sound, at first I thought it was another bsod, but after a few seconds everything just resumed. Later on while browsing the web and playing some music, the music just started to stop and cut out for a few seconds like I was streaming it very slowly even though I was playing it from my pc. And now Things just randomly stop responding (multiple programs, all at once), sometimes they resume, sometimes the pc just stays frozen.

My first thought was that it was a virus as sureley it couldnt possibly be my new ram? Anyway, i tried to run a virus scan (AVG Full) and it stopped responding at 55%, tried again, it stopped at 57%. I then assumed it was a rather tricky virus so I decided to use trend micro's house call, it found nothing. Twice. I then tried AVG again, it completed this time, nothing, no virus, no harmful files or programs at all. Im at a loss for what this problem could be, it just seems that the pc is now very sluggish and ridden with problems.

My system is:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU [email protected]

8 Gb Ram (4 x Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Xtreme Performance Memory CL5, upgraded from 4 x Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800mhz/PC2-6400-CL4 BL25664AA80A)

Asus P5N-D Motherboard

2 x Nvidia GeForce 8500gt Graphics cards

Not sure if you need anymore specific details here, but if you do just let me know.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the cause could be?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Brand & Model of the PSU?
Try removing one of the GPU's.
Problems with 4GB RAM sticks are not uncommon. Try one stick at a time.
What are the Error Codes you see on the BSOD?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not sure on the PSU, will check it shortly and update here.
Would it be a GPU issue? I mean, I haven't changed anything regarding them and its worked fine up until this point.
They are 2GB sticks :S
The Bsod's were the issues I was having before and the reason I upgraded the ram, haven't had once since, but these issues have surfaced in thier place. If you think the bsod messages are relevant the post I originally made details them: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f210/so-i-think-my-ram-is-pretty-screwed-603708.html#post3456547

Quick update, I was playing the music on WMP before, tried again, same result, tells me its collecting media info and plays jerkily, tried on vlc and vlc plays fine, maybe the media player is an unrelated issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, 10 minutes after saying Vlc was fine, it quite spectacularly stopped responding with a few seconds of warped sound to signify it.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
You can ID the PSU by looking at the label affixed to it.
Remove two of the RAM sticks and see how it goes. 4GB is more than enough for any game and most all apps.
What Error Codes do you see on the BSOD?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.