Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. Everytime I turn my computer on a window pops up the says:

"SmartUpgrade module detect a new version for DVD to
iPod Converter 5.0.25 is available. do you want to
upgrade now?
O Upgrade Now!

O Remind me Later

O Never remind me

OK

I downloaded a program a while back to see if I could convert my DVD's to fit on my ipod-- it was some shareware thing online. It didn't work, obviously, and so I deleted it all off my computer. I have a great antivirus and firewall program-- WindowsLive One Care, but it hasn't detected anything with this window popping up and I can't find the source to eliminate it. Each time the window pops up I click on "Never remind me" and it will go away while my computer remains on, but if I shut it down and reboot, it pops up again. I have no idea how to get rid of it.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks,

Melaina:sigh:

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
Re: "SmartUpgrade module detect a new version" window I can get rid of!!!!!!

The first place that I would look for it is
goto start|run type msconfig and goto the startup tab and see if it is listed in there.
If it is uncheck the box for it and hit apply.
Then reboot and it should be gone.

·
Registered
381 Posts

How did you remove the program initially.
You said that you deleted it -did you remove it using add/remove programs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Pat, it worked.

And Steveb1234-- I did remove the program using the add/remove programs feature from my computer menu.

Any suggestions now as to how to remove this lingering piece of this program from my computer? I know that it doesn't pop up anymore, but it's still bothering me that its there. It isn't listed on my add/remove programs page either, so I have no idea how to get it off my computer...

Thanks for all the help!

-Melaina

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts

In the smae place as above look at the file path that it is showing to see where it is coming from.

·
Registered
381 Posts

You could open your c: drive and go to the programs folder.
There may still be a folder for the program that bears the publishers name (like activision for call of duty) -if you can see this, right click and delete the folder.
Another possibility is that the prog has a custom uninstaller and reinstalling it and then going to the programs list and using this will effect a complete uninstall.
This used to be a problem with norton and zone alarm software- i.e using add/remove program would not properly remove it and could lead to problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.