Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

just wondering about enabling SMART in the cmos. i've seen this on a few motherboards, but all i know about it is it's meaning. self monitoring analysis reporting technology and that it's meant to watch the HD's for failure.

so does it involve enabling it and nothing more or does it open a world of other procedures and software to install/run/watch and does it do any good in the finish.

if i was to enable it, it would be on standard ide channels with anything from 40GB to 120 GB HD's. up to now i've never bothered looking into it, but you know curiosity killed the HD.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
If your motherboard supports SMART, it's a good idea to enable it in BIOS. You don't need to do anything else, just enable and reboot. It won't affect performance and you won't even notice it running except for when your hard drive fails, in which case back up your data and get a new drive.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. i'll try it here. so does it give you accurate warnings when the HD is about to fail? does it do it during the post? i cannot imagine it doing anything during the running of windows, unless windows sees a new device and then acts accordingly. i'm using win2k by the way.

i'm paranoid about HD failure, because it happened once before. i change the HD every 3/4 years and then use the old one for a pc that isn't of any importance or a paper weight.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
It will say something like 'SMART is enabled on all your drives' during post (before OS loads). If it detects any problems it will notify you at this stage. I have it enabled on all the PCs I've ever used and have never had a warning, but it's reassuring to know it's there keeping an eye on things.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll enable it at home. i have an ASUS a7s8x and it has it. the mobo here is an ga-7vm400m (according to Sandra Lite. i suppose i could stand up and take off the cover) and i didn't see it anywhere in the cmos, so i doubt it has smart ability. i'm trying to download a manual for the mobo here, but i'm not getting any of the gigabyte sites up. again, i might have to get up and go out to reception to get a manual.

anyway thanks for the info.
i have to get up to goto lunch now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.