Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have a problem with our security in networking. i seek help here, hoping to find a answer to this.

Currently there are 2 workgroups, A and B ; ( A ) 3 xp home, 1 xp pro, 1 server and (B) 2 xp home, 1 xp pro

I am using the router n switch for lan .

how i able to restrict/block workgroup B to access workgroup A ?

Willing to listen to your another new advice or another alternate way.

Fyi, I am using the router to control the ip address of lan networking but i could not able to block workgroup a to access workgroup b since they are in same router , etc, ( 192.168.1.1 to 255)

is it necessary to use the firewall in every computer in wkgroups to be configured to block each other ?

i believe there is other better way to do this ?

Thanks
best regards
cheetian
networking security Learner.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My suggestion would be to create a domain for workgroup A and keep workgroup B the way it is. You can easily restrict workgroup B from the domain.

The other option is to restrict the shares on the server on workgroup A.

I would go with the domain creation, everything is managed centrally on the server and you can easily manage domain policies.

Give us a little more info, what exactly are you trying to restrict?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Log in to Domain that mean have to spend on upgrading all the xp home to xp pro.

Phubeone, i wish to separate the workgroup so that workgroup A share the resources among them. But i don`t want to workgroup B to access the workgroups A shared resources.

It applied same to workgroup B, sharing among them, restricted workgroup A to access them in workgroup B.

so domain creation is only one alternate option ?

Using the server, it come with password feature to access the server. it is very helpful to IT sercurity.

Pls advise. thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
No what you can do is also right click on the shared folder and remove everyone from the list and add the users in workgroup A to the list and give them the access you want them to have. I would also add the users in workgroup B and deny them any access to that share. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
u mean to say , use the group policy ? i am not sure whether it can be done with xp home edition pc. i believe not.

Thanks for rely and same time pls advise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.