Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I recently got an old Dell Inspiron 3800. I'm bored so I thought I'd screw around with it. I decided to put Suse 9.3 on it, even though I already have a linux laptop. It didn't work. I can't get the GUI to show up, just a command line, same thing with 9.1, 6.3, FC3, Corel, Ubuntu, and Mepis. So I decided "F*ck it. If it's command line only, none of my family will be able to even find the files." So what I want now is a small linux distro that has no GUI. I don't have a floppy drive, so it has to have and ISO. Oh, and I don't want a liveCD, I want turn it on and have it boot to a command line and let me do the basic stuff. Text editing, and file manipulation. A pdf view might be handy, but if thats not possible without a GUI, not important.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think you are confused. You will only get a GUI on Linux if you install one to begin with. Any Linux operating system has the capability of being command line only. Your system will only be as "heavy" or "lightweight" as the amount/type of programs YOU install on it.

As for your question, I would recommend Debian or Slackware.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*blink* I just feel silly now... Alright. Nevermind. Thanks though.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
phaenilda said:
*blink* I just feel silly now... Alright. Nevermind. Thanks though.

well, don't feel silly.

almost everyone thinks linux is more complicated than it is.

this more or less isn't true, but it's what's being said, so everyone expects their linux problem to be really complicated, when in fact, it's so simple, that it's nearly impossible to imagine it.

also, for what it's worth, you can set up a GUI on there, and just only use it when you feel you need to.

that way, the machine will boot to a command line, and then if you really want, you can type a simple command to enter kde or gnome, or any other gui you like.

it would still keep everyone other than you from knowing what to do. (unless they have some linux skills)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
837 Posts
Setting It Up To Boot in a text-based mode then start up a GUI if you want will save your computer much resources and can be done easily...

·
Registered
58 Posts
LoneWolf071 said:
Setting It Up To Boot in a text-based mode then start up a GUI if you want will save your computer much resources and can be done easily...
Slackware's default runlevel is 3, which is what you just said.

I would go with slackware, or maybe even gentoo.

If you must go graphical, then you can always use a lightweight window manager, such as fluxbox.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help, guys, but I don't know if it's any use. I think ther is something wrong with my optical drive, I can't get this thing to install anything now. I got it to install Suse (without any graphical programs) but once it had copied everything to disk, I stalled on the configuration. 2 hours later, I just rebooted, and it loaded up, and it prints one word on the screen: "GRUB"
I'm getting sick of this computer. I tried just putting FreeDOS on it, but it refused.
*sigh* Maybe I'll just scrap this damn thing.
No, it's personal now. I will have linux on this machine. I WILL WIN!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
that's more or less the exact same thing i experienced when installing mandrake 10 onto my inspiron 4000.

went pretty good, and mandrake supported the hardware well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
phaenilda said:
Thanks for all the help, guys, but I don't know if it's any use. I think ther is something wrong with my optical drive, I can't get this thing to install anything now.
Try burning the CDs on a slower speed, like maybe 10X.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aeuzent- I've seen that page, and it offers no help. As for vector, too big. I'm on dial up here.
Waltside- Yes it's like that machine, save it has a maroon faceplate and a DVD-rom instead of a floppy
Stu-computer- Thanks, Puppy linux looks like it might work out if I can get it downloaded. It can do an actual install, not just booting from a CD or USB drive right?
Scooped- I'll try burning them slower, thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1) There are smaller distrobutions
2) I already have DSL. It's a liveCD. I said I need a distro that will actually install
Thanks, though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Most live cds install. There's a script or command somewhere on the cd that will install to the hard drive.

In fact the only live cd I've ever seen that didn't have a built in installer is the Suse DVD

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
dsl will install, and can be expanded to run anything.

it's built on debian, and through the symantic tool, you can install any packages you want.

i think you type "dls tohda1" when it prompts you, to make it install.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have Puppy installed. I'm a little frustrated with the lack of commands it supports though. And like everything else, it refuses to load a GUI unless I boot from a CD. Puppy is by far the best live CD I've seen though.
BeatrIX is too big. I'm on dial up. It took me three days to DL the 50 megs of Puppy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.