Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my house gets cable internet, comes through the wall into the modem in which then I have two choices...

1. I plug it into the router and then the whole house gets internet.
2. I plug it straight into the back of the computer.

The problem is when I plug it into the router the internet becomes MUCH slower later in the evenings (getting 700ms pings vs 100ms pings early in the day or when I go straight to my computer)

This makes me beleive its the router and replacing the router will fix it and still enable the house to have internet but... Why does this only happen in the evenings? That leads me to think it might not be the router?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may not see any difference bypassing the router.

Think more about the bigger picture. Is your cable connection on a feed with many other houses too? Or do you have a dedicated line to your house? You and your house may not be the only traffic generator on the cable!

When I had Comcast, we could tell when the kids got home from school, because the internet response time would go up.

Hopes this helps you understand what is going on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats what I was thinking except when I bypass the router even when the internet becomes slower the response time greatly increases. So at 6:00 in the evening with a router I might have 600ms and when I bypass it ill have 100ms

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may also be as lucky as upgrading the firmware on your Router that could allow for a higher throughput to your PC, generally bandwidth will slow down going through a Router, I have found this to be true from all kinds of Router, including Enterprise Routers, but they should not be giving you 700ms response times. Anyways just something to think about.

Good luck.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
I'd still suspect the ISP connection. This is a very common complaint, the evening hours are the time of peak demand, and overloaded ISP networks frequently bog down during those hours.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.