Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dubbed the IT Manager at my school (I'm a teacher). The only reason I've been given this honor is the fact I'm pretty much the only one in our school that knows that software isn't a reference to a clothing line. We have a brand new school with a brand new network infrastructure. I've installed server 2003 on our new server (P4 with two 2.5 Gig CPUs, 1 gig of ram and 200 gig of storage). I've been able to set up a domain controller, the file server, and users. All the computers connected to the domain are running XP pro. (I do have some win 98 SE machines but from what I understand they can't join the domain; I'm just using the same WORKGROUP name so they can see the server). Here's my problem - the Logon is EXTREMELY slow. It takes a good 5 to 6 minutes for the machines to logon to the server. At first I thought it would only the this the first time I logged on for each machine, but it's the same thing every time. I've tried enabling the Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon in gp. Right now I've got teachers logging on to the desktop computer, but would rather have them logon to the server so I can set up individual files etc. using a script so they don't have to get into the mynetworks tree. ANY HELP OUT THERE?!

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Well, there is no reason you can't logon to your domain with the W98 machines, that one was easy to dispense with. :smile:

Have you checked the event log for the slow computers to see if you're getting any errors? How about any error messages at the server?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't seen any errors at the server side. Didn't think to check the client machine event logs. Once they are signed in to the network they work fine...file viewing and saving are quick and slick. Navigating the server or other machines on the domain are just as quick. It's just the dagnab logon. I have about 60 client machines running XP pro and every single one of them takes a good 5 - 6 min. to logon. There's gotta be something at the server side doesn't there? What little research I've been able to do has told me that this is normal for a server 2003 - XP set up...I find that very hard to accept.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I have never seen domain logins take that long with 2K Server I don't have enough experience with 2003 Server yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like it maybe a DNS issue. Is the Server your using providing
DNS and DHCP to the XP computers on the domain. You will usually
run into problems with just one server performing all the services.

You may try using a Static IP address, and set the DNS to point
to your networks DNS server. The IP address should be above
what would be issued by the DHCP server.

You will need to go to Start, Connect to, Show all connections,
and right click the Lan connection, select properties, than TCP/IP
and properties and then select Use the following address and enter
the info and apply.

Worked4me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it!

It was a DNS issue. I had to hard code the DC DNS into the clients. After doing this logon takes about 3 seconds...I can live with that. Thanks for your suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.