Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is a HD problem or XP problem, thought I'd start here...

I have a WD1600JB. Yesterday my computer crashed and when I rebooted, everything became really slow. So I powered off (shut down don't work). And now when I turn on the computer, it stays at the "detecting IDE" for almost 30 secs. Then finally it would recognize the HD and proceed to boot up XP. However, normally it takes me 30 secs to boot, now it takes several mins. Even after window is booted, everything is slow. The mouse would work fine, but when I press the 'Start' button, it takes minutes for anything to happen, essentially the system is useless. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi need4greed,

hmmm......one thing you can do is to clear the cmos on the motherboard. refer to your manual for the cmos jumper location.

another thing you can do is to change the ide or sata cable that is connected to your hdd and motherboard. also try performing a "chkdsk /r" on your computer. since you are using windows xp, reboot your computer and bootup with your windows xp cd.

you will need to go into the bios and change the first boot device to cdrom, save settings and exit the bios.

the computer should automatically boot up to your windows xp cd, your windows xp cd should be in the cdrom of course. then on the main console choose repair and just simply hit enter if you dont have an admin password, since the computer will aks you for one.

then on C: type in "chkdsk /r". make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r. see if this helps speed things up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.