Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Until recently I was on a college campus using an ethernet cable to connect to the internet on this computer. I never had any connection issues and the speed was great. I came home for the summer and I have to use the wireless ion the house. The one computer wired to the router is getting the full speed of the internet (20mb/s). About 30ft from the router is my computer, and when it receives the wireless it only gets about 5mb/s or less at any given time. Before I left the wireless was fine and my computer got the full speed. Could this be a problem with the router, is it time to get a replacement?

My pc specs are under my avatar and the router is a Linksys WRT54G.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,090 Posts
I doubt the router suddenly decided not to give you full speed. My guess is you possibly have wireless interference.

Some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
  5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.