Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well my vista laptop has been giving me other problems now. Like I just spent 25 or so minutes waiting for it to hibernate. Also did this the last time I tried it.

Also when turning on the laptop, it will either freeze completly for a few minutes or svchost (sorry if I got the wrong letters for it, I don't want to wait for laptop more tonight) will run at atleast 50% CPU ussage (total CPU will be in 90s or so) and will actually make the laptop really slow.

Also what seems to happening is yesterday and yet again today, I can do something, cause the computer to be extremly slow, and if I press alt-ctrl-del it will load slowly for that, and the screen will turn black at some point.

I also feel like it is shutting down slower then it ever use to.

I have used up a decent amount of the hard drive but I still have over 20 GB free. I do feel that this problem started when I tried to install the service pack but that failed multiple times, but recently I did got it to install.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas as to what the issue may be?
Thank you!

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello Snoopdogie187 :smile:

Well, I am not downloading SP1 for a while yet. I would not be surprised if it was at the bottom of your problems.

Here is what I would do if I had your problems

Check Device Manager for yellow splats. There can be driver problems after installing SP1. Check the graphics driver in particular

1. Check msconfig and turn off everything not needed to run at startup
1. Click on the Vista start icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.

2. Type MSCONFIG in the search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results.

3. Vista will ask you for permission to continue. You may see a box asking you to key in your computer's administrator user name and password.
Or, if you're already logged into Vista as an administrator, you may see a box asking you if you would like to continue.
Either way, follow the on-screen prompts to give Vista permission to continue.

4. Microsoft's System Configuration Utility will launch.
Click on the Startup tab.

Keep the page open then go to one of the links below.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html

Read the Key at top of page. Use the Search box to check all your entries.
It will tell you what all the entries are and whether you can disable them or not. It will also identify any malware. Disable everything which is not needed to run at start up

When you reboot you will get a message saying you have started in "Selective Startup" Click "Don`t show this message again" then OK

Run Disk Cleanup

Download Process Explorer and find out what is using the CPU
Process Explorer

Defrag

·
4,279 Posts
Hello pravin.gund

This is a bit different from Snoopdogie187`s problem.

Would you please start you own new thread and give some more information.

Such as
What error messages are you getting.

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I saved the log for svchost.exe that I feel is the problem. It continues taking a lot of the CPU while turning on, and the laptop seems slower then. I know this seems normal but how it acts is not, it is almost freezing when it happens.

As for msconfig, I generally limit that as it is, but I will do all I can now just to see.

Disk cleanup i do a lot also, never much in there anyway.

Defag, I havent done it since Service Pack but usually never let it get bad enough to effect anything.

I know nothing is wrong in device manager but I uninstalled the display driver and reinstalled it just to be safe.

sorry for taking my time to reply, I had an exam last night

Attachments

·
4,279 Posts
I have the same number of svchost.exe running on my machine.

Do you have "Automatic Updates" running? If you do try turning it off and reboot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.