Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a sony VAIO with a 2GB worth of RAM in it, the laptop runs pretty smooth and fast except for when is shuts down and starts up

Shut down: after it logs off, the screen stays still for like around a minut or two desplaying "Windows shutting down do not unplug...."

Startup: right after i log in it loads for almost two minutes, then i am able to do work on it.

I am really bothered with this situation, but since i carry the laptop to college with me, somtimes i get really mad, because i am in a hurry and the computer just takes it sweet time load, it really pisses me off.

Thanks in advance,
SpeedSlayer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its definetly not the update process, unless, it updates itself everytime i shutdown my laptop, its just a regular shotdown thinig,

"shutting down don not turn off or unplug you computer"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try clicking on the start menu or Orb I guess in your situation, then clicking run and type in msconfig. Then go to the startup tab and see what all is set to start up with the computer, that will help a good bit. Also try pressing f8 when your computer is booting to go into safe mode and see if it still starts up slowly there. If not, I would try running a spyware/vundo scan.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,389 Posts
its definetly not the update process, unless, it updates itself everytime i shutdown my laptop, its just a regular shotdown thinig,

"shutting down don not turn off or unplug you computer"
It very well may be the Windows Update process if the installations are failing each time; hence the Event Viewer. This just happened to my 9 yr olds laptop.

regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry that was my bad intead of saying "shutting down do not turn off or unplug your coputer"
it actuall says "shutting down..."

·
34,389 Posts
Sorry that was my bad intead of saying "shutting down do not turn off or unplug your coputer"
it actuall says "shutting down..."
Hello again.. .

I'd like for you to download a program that will provide me with some system related information regarding Windows Updates:

Belarc Advisor download

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
make sure you arent clearing the page file on shutdown
Clear Page file on shutdown
Go to Control panel Administrative tools, local security policy. then go to local policies ---> security options.
Then change the option for "Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile"

are you using norton? i wouldnt

try cleanup

remove any important data in any temp folders first.. as this utility by default will clean out your temp folders/files

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again.. .

I'd like for you to download a program that will provide me with some system related information regarding Windows Updates:

Belarc Advisor download

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
okay now i've got the Belarc Advisor installed, how do you want me to give you info. man the thing show everything about your computer and i dont want everyone to see it.

·
34,389 Posts
okay now i've got the Belarc Advisor installed, how do you want me to give you info. man the thing show everything about your computer and i dont want everyone to see it.

Hi Speedslayer -

You can send me a PM anytime that you would like.

jcgriff2

·
Freelance
886 Posts
START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP
Untick anything that isnt a system program

>GENERAL

Select

Selective start up and click all 3 areas,then apply,click ok and restart,should start up faster

To shut down faster

START>RUN>REGEDIT>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Double click

WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Change its value to 5000

Thats a 5 sec kill time,should kill all process's except explorer which should take about 20 seconds in total

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.