Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping one of you experts can help me with this.

I have a new Seagate ST 3320620A 320GB PATA drive on a MSI KT4V Motherboard with a VIA KT 400 chipset. It's on IDE 1 by itself and connected with an 80 pin cable. MY processor is an AMD Athlon 2600XP and I have 1.5mb of PC 3200 Ram running at 333mhz.

My bios and Windows XP Media Centre recognizes the drive properly and shows it running in UDMA 5 on an NTFS file system.

The problem I have is that when I benchmark the drive I never go above around 30-34mbs and the graph in all the benchmarks is flat lined staight across with small dips and peaks.

I've done everthing possible so far including swapping the cable, upated the via drivers, defragmented, booted with all non microsoft programs disabled etc. and the benchmark never changes.

The original 80 gig Maxtor I had in this computer previously used to get the same results. When I installed the Maxtor in my second computer, which is much older with an Athlon 1800XP and only 512mb of ram it scores in the 45mbs range with the graph angling downwards as it should.

I know my system is not the newest or fastest but I think I should be getting more than 34mbs.

HD Tach Results

Burst Speed = 82MB/s
Average Read = 34.1 MB/s
CPU Utilization = 0%
Random Access = 15.2ms

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I'm really confused

Thanks Dai,

I already had hdtune on my sytem and I have run it a dozen times with a flat lined result of 28mbs.

I just ran it again without making any changes to my system this a.m., at your suggestion, and low and behold I came in at 61.5mbs with a 75mbs burst rate.

The graph even angled down as it should but guess what? I forgot I had HD tach open under my browser window and my CPU load was at 100%. I closed down everything and reran the test and I go back to my usual results of a flat lined 28 mbs with a 0% CPU load.

What in the world would cause better results with a higher CPU load?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I would run the manufactures hard drive diagnostic utility (free on their website / downloads) on the drive to check for any mechanical issues. Make sure to run the DOS version and extended or full test.

please post back with results; sounds like a write cache problem to me

another thing you could try is; slave it to another computer and then test the drive with the programs

you dont have to fasten a drive into the other machine to run them, I often test and use extra drives just by laying them on a magazine next to the computer then add a power plug and cable.
I have found the easiest way is to unplug the data cable going from the cd-rom drive to the motherboard (unplug that cable at the mother board end) and then plug in the suspect drive with a spare cable into that motherboard slot all on it its own >>>>> that way you dont have to alter the jumper setttings on the transplat drive; it will work like that as all three settings / as long as its alone on the cable master,slave, cable select (CS)

then test the benchmark readings, if you get the same result / you have a dirve problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Linderman,

I ran the dos seatools with no errors. Installing the drive on IDE 2 on my other older computer resulted in the benchmark I would expect.

Minimum: 37.4mbs
Average: 62.7mbs
Burst: 77.6
CPU: 15.7%

The graph also declined from left to right as it's supposed to.

Reinstalled on the MSI kt4v and I get 30mbs straight across the graph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've already done that.

The only thing I can think of is that it's some wacky bios setting even though I believe I have all the standard settings correct or a bad IDE channel?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
ok well bad drive has definetly been ruled out! nice job on the step :pray:

I would now check on the MSI website for your board and see if any new motherboard chipset drivers have been released since your install, they will be an .inf file

I would also try a most recent bios upgrade

keep us posted,

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
there is a very recent release of motherboard chipset drivers for your board

jan / 07 :grin:

All VIA based chipset mainboard

Description • WHQL pass for Win2K/XP/64-bit
• New support K8M890 north bridge
• New support WinXP 64-bit OS
• Driver version: 5.10a